Hopbursting/Late Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I know that with a late extract addition, you add most of the extract with about 15 minutes left in the boil to sterilize it, and only add a small portion to help with the bittering hops.

My question is, if you're hopbursting a beer (getting all the bitterness from late additions), is there any reason to boil any of the extract prior to the first hop addition?

I'm getting ready to brew a hopbursted IPA, and my first hop addition is only in the boil for 15 min. In that case, is it possible to simply add all the extract with the first hop addition and just have a 15 minute boil?

Yes, you could do that.

You could also add 1 pound of extract (or so) per gallon of water for the 15 minute boil, and add the rest of the extract at flame out.

Awesome. Thanks. Other than steeping the specialty grains, looks like a 15-minute boil for me.

Awesome. Thanks. Other than steeping the specialty grains, looks like a 15-minute boil for me.

15 min boil is going to get you Jack for bittering...I hope you mean 15min for last malt extract addition with aroma hops?

15 min boil is going to get you Jack for bittering...I hope you mean 15min for last malt extract addition with aroma hops?

The idea of hop bursting is to add all the hops late. If you use the right amount of hops it works great and you get the right amount of bothering.

The idea of hop bursting is to add all the hops late. If you use the right amount of hops it works great and you get the right amount of bothering.

Hop bursting is to get the flavor and aroma without all the bitterness...still need a fwh addition.

Depends on the hops you choose. But a good hopburst schedule will still give you some "smooth bitterness." Put it in a brew calc and see what you get. I've been very successful with no hops until 15 minutes.

I just did a "hopbursted" IPA yesterday. I did a full 60 minute boil (for the wort, since it was all grain), but my hops were added at 20/15/10/5/0(whirlpool). I should get around 50 IBUs.

The beer I'm drinking right now (well, not right now as it's 6:30 AM but you know what I mean!) is all late hops- 15/10/5/0, with homegrown hops. It's got plenty of bitterness.

While it's true that a 60 minute boil for the hops maximizes the isomerization of the hops oils, it's not uncommon to skip that and do "hopbursting" for a huge hops aroma and flavor, with plenty of bitterness. It just takes more hops to get the same IBUs, that's all!

I just did a "hopbursted" IPA yesterday. I did a full 60 minute boil (for the wort, since it was all grain), but my hops were added at 20/15/10/5/0(whirlpool). I should get around 50 IBUs.

The beer I'm drinking right now (well, not right now as it's 6:30 AM but you know what I mean!) is all late hops- 15/10/5/0, with homegrown hops. It's got plenty of bitterness.

While it's true that a 60 minute boil for the hops maximizes the isomerization of the hops oils, it's not uncommon to skip that and do "hopbursting" for a huge hops aroma and flavor, with plenty of bitterness. It just takes more hops to get the same IBUs, that's all!

Thank you for confirming my own conclusions that a 60 min edition isn't necessary!

Right. Seems like it would use a lot more. I mainly brew nw ipa so most are rarely under 80ibu. I do a 1oz 90fwh and then hop burst the rest probably 8oz, I can see where your guys method would work great for lower ibu beer, doesn't seem cost effective for imperial ipa though. But if you have a lot of hops go for it.

Just understand the IBUs in general are not a good gauge for bitterness when comparing hop bursting to traditional schedules. If you get 50 IBU from a 60 minute addition, that will be bitter. 50 IBU from hopburst will have little to no bitterness or "smooth" as people mention. I went crazy with hop bursting for about 20 batches. In the end, there was no "bite" that I enjoyed from several IPAs. I usually do a FWH and 60 minute to get 10-20% of the IBU. Then do the 20/15/10/5/0 for the rest. Smooth but with actual bitterness.

It is really useful when doing hoppy lagers, saison, etc. You get to add a ton of hops and hit your low IBU range with no real bitterness.

Just understand the IBUs in general are not a good gauge for bitterness when comparing hop bursting to traditional schedules. If you get 50 IBU from a 60 minute addition, that will be bitter. 50 IBU from hopburst will have little to no bitterness or "smooth" as people mention. I went crazy with hop bursting for about 20 batches. In the end, there was no "bite" that I enjoyed from several IPAs. I usually do a FWH and 60 minute to get 10-20% of the IBU. Then do the 20/15/10/5/0 for the rest. Smooth but with actual bitterness.

It is really useful when doing hoppy lagers, saison, etc. You get to add a ton of hops and hit your low IBU range with no real bitterness.

It's weird, but I do find that I get plenty of firm bitterness. It's not a harsh bitterness, but it's really a nice firm bittering. Maybe it's my sulfate level for those beers? Just a thought.

What chemistry is always something to consider. I suppose my sulphate levels are "low" compared to what some people prefer

@matt08wrx: you're right, hopbursting is not a cost-effective way of contributing bitterness. The trade-off is increased hop flavor and aroma. It really just depends on how important that aroma is to the finished beer.

Back