Hop viability..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigH78

Reaction score
So I did a mass cleaning of my brew area and found a box of grain I had purchased on 8/24/16. I realized under the grain was a few packages of hops from Hoptimus Rex. They are still sealed in original packaging. Think they are any good still? It never gets above 62 degrees in my brew area so while it's not warm, its not exactly cold either.

What do you guys think?

I think the hops will be fine, but you will definitely know when opening the packages. If they smell fresh/somewhat fresh, then you are good to go.

Just plan to use them in a simple, unexpensive pale / red ale.

Yeah they would be going in a porter(ish)/brown ale(ish) beer anyway so low IBU. I'll give them the ol sniffer test and see if they are cheesy at all.

Anecdotal evidence and only slightly related to the question. I have hops growing wild on my place. I grabbed a couple in the fall when they were just ready to pick and gave them a squeeze and sniffed. Pretty good! In the spring I discovered some that had stayed on the ground all winter, covered in snow. The cones wanted to fall apart when I picked them up but I squeezed one and sniffed. Dang good! Maybe fresh isn't the only thing to look for.

Back