Hop varieties to plant.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
Im looking to plant a bunch of hops up at my family farm, and Im wondering whta varieties to plant. Id love to grow some goldings, but Ive never used any goldings besides EKG's if I grow goldings here will they taste similar to EKG's? My favorite style to make is english barleywine, so I guess the question is what hops should I plant that will grow in the south and make hops that would not be out of place in an english barleywine?

You're profile doesn't say where "here" is. Hops pick up different profiles from different areas. As for choosing your hops.. Cascade seem to do nicely everywhere. Other than that, you may want to look into which ones will do best in your climate zone. I grew cascade, mt. hood, and chinook this year. All are going great. I live in Northern Illinois, close to Chicago.

I live in south carolina, Ive already got a cascade plant that is doing fine. Im hoping for something not citrusy, more earthy.

Latest posts

Back