Hop Varieties and Sunlight Requirements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captn731

Reaction score
I am planning my hop trellis and am looking for info on hop varieties and sunlight requirements.

I know the more the better, but I have also heard saaz hybrids can get by on less.

Design constraints will force me to have a couple varieties getting less direct sun than the others.

Is there a comprehensive list out there?

The only USDA-listed hop that doesn't require full sun is Sunbeam. My business partner has some Cascades in a canyon near Oakland, CA. Took five years for any hops to develop. Might be a good idea for this to be a sticky and have people post their experiences.

Like David mentioned, Sunbeam is a partial shade variety (kinda ironic name for a shade plant). Anyway, there is info on heat tolerance out there. Though it does not seem to be consolidated (at least that I could find)

My research lead me to a basic conclusion: all hops worth brewing with want lots of sun. Some varieties are more heat tolerant than others. It looks like English hops are less heat tolerant(and get less intense sun in England)....which makes sense, as they evolved in a cool climate. Though not confirmed, my guess is that origin of the hops gives an idea of amount of light required. Still-sun is good. Some shade is OK, but yield will decrease.

I am planting a pilot plot in the foothills of Mt. Lassen, CA that gets tons of sun, but also gets very hot in summer too...pretty much the same kind of weather Yakima gets. This lead me to try mostly American cultivars that are Washington based: Cascade, Zeus, Glacier, Sterling, Nugget.

Not sure I answered your question?

Tim

Back