Hop Utilization Issue???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

303Dan

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

A common thread in the beers I've made to this point has been that there is less hop flavor and aroma than I'm intending. This last beer I made (and American Amber), I made a concerted effort to build the recipe in a way where I was upping the overall IBU's in terms of BU:GU ratio in Beersmith, as well as trying to really up my late and flameout hop additions to increase hop flavor and aroma. Here's what I did:

Batch Size 5.15 Gal
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.017
IBU (as predicted by Beersmith): 46.5 (made sure I updated AA% according to labels on all purchased hops to make sure IBUs were as accurate as could be)

Recipe:
8 1/4 lb Marris Otter
13 oz White Wheat Malt
1/4 lb Caramunich
1.0 oz Dark Chocolate
15 oz Munich Malt 20L
6 oz Crystal 80
4 oz Crystal 40

Mash Temp: 155 (going for a little higher FG than a previous attempt at this beer which turned out too thin)

60 minute boil

Hop Additions:
0.75 oz Cascade (7.5%) @ 30 minutes - 16.2 IBUs
1.25 oz Cascade (7.5%) @ 15 minutes - 17.4 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade (7.5%) @ 5 minutes - 11.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Willamette (5%) @ 0 minutes - 1.6 IBUs

I use a Hop Spider with a pretty large bag so the hops can have as much freedom as possible. My kettle is about 10 gallons.

I don't whirlpool, but I keep the hop spider in the kettle while I cool with an immersion chiller. That usually takes about 20 minutes to get down to 70 degrees, and I usually try to stir with the chiller itself to help that chilling happen as quickly as possible.

This beer stayed in Primary for 3 weeks, then to keg. I did NOT dry hop.

With my BU:GU ratio of about 0.86, I expected this one to be fairly hoppy, especially for the style. But I'm not getting much hop flavor or aroma.

Can anyone see anything in my recipe and/or process that might be causing this? Could it be the hop spider? Am I just not putting together a good recipe as far as hop schedule?

Thanks,
Dan

If you're going for bigger hop aroma and flavor, you need to try a hop stand/whirlpool, and/or a dry hop. I'd ditch the 5 min addition. The flameout is fine. Cool between 170-180 for a hop-stand/whirlpool addition (steep at this temp for 15-20 mins, then cool the rest of the way, and you'll retain a lot more aroma than a 5 min or flameout addition). A couple oz dry hop will help as well. Very simple. Wait for fermentation to complete. Throw in a couple oz high AA hops (your late hops are prefect for this), and let sit for 5-7 days then bottle.

I've heard that spiders can affect utilization, also I would go and set your utilization % lower in beersmith as well

One thing that screwed me up (with using BeerSmith) was not updating the the hops in the software with the actual AA value. I've had hops that in BeerSmith (and I assume other software) that used the default value where the actual hops I had were much lower. Just another thing to be aware of.

One thing that screwed me up (with using BeerSmith) was not updating the the hops in the software with the actual AA value. I've had hops that in BeerSmith (and I assume other software) that used the default value where the actual hops I had were much lower. Just another thing to be aware of.

I did the same thing recently. Inputting the hop schedule I used the default AA% but later changed it after reading the package AA% was much lower (9.6% vs 6.7%). It always helps to have accurate info! Lol

Good luck!

I second the hopstand/whirlpool suggestion. When I started using +90% of my hops post flameout and let them steep it made my IPAs instantly better. Personally, I like to hopstand for an entire hour with 4-6oz going in at flameout and another 4-6oz after 30min. Id rather use my hops here than a large emphasis on dry hopping

I second the hopstand/whirlpool suggestion. When I started using +90% of my hops post flameout and let them steep it made my IPAs instantly better. Personally, I like to hopstand for an entire hour with 4-6oz going in at flameout and another 4-6oz after 30min. Id rather use my hops here than a large emphasis on dry hopping

Wow, I guess I am just still way to light on total amount of hops, in addition to needing to try a hop stand. The recipe I used above was by far the most hops I've used in a 5 gallon batch to date (6 oz). Plus, I felt like I loaded up on the late additions. I thought that was a lot.

Now, I wasn't trying to make an IPA, just a slightly hoppier than average Amber with good hop aroma, but it still seems like I am way light on hops.

Question: when you're using that much hops (8-12 oz) in the hop stand, do you just do a single addition @ 60 minutes or something for bittering and then not do anything else until flameout?

my protocol for any hop forward beer is like 1oz of bittering at 60min then another 1oz at 10-15min depending on whether or not I want it slightly bitter. Then everything else after flameout. But thats just to my tastes. I like commercial IPAs that are more bitter than what I make. But if I had control over it, id emphasize the flameout additions more like I make them

Ditch the hop spider ...I notice a big difference when I use the hop spider and don't use it ..if you use it I would double the amount of hops

I'll ditto what everyone is saying about whirlpool hopping.
Another thing to consider is your water. Water profile can make a huge impact on perceived bitterness and hop character.
You didn't mention water in your recipe, what water are you using and what is the mineral content?

I may try a batch without the hop spider and see what happens.

Good point about the water. I use Fort Collins, CO tap water with some minor adjustments using Brun Water. Here are the numbers for the water used with the recipe I listed in my original post:

Base Water Profile in PPM:
Calcium: 17.3
Magnesium: 1.6
Sodium: 3.1
Potassium: 0.7
Iron: 0
Sulfate: 12.6
Chloride: 2.9
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0.2
Flouride: 0.9
Bicarbonate: 44.8
Carbonate: 0.2

To that base water, I added:
0.5 g/gal Gypsum
0.75 g/gal Calcium Chloride

So, those additions did the following:
Calcium up to 102ppm
Sulfate up to 86.3
Chloride up to 98.5
Total Hardness from 50 to 262
Alkalinity from 33 to 37
Residual Alkalinity from 24 down to -36

Does this water profile look like something that could be a negative?

Dan

Also, should I be loading up more on Gypsum and back off the Calcium Chloride to increase my Sulfate:Chloride ratio if I want that hop flavor to come through?

Back