Hop utilization and flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcatbrewing42

Reaction score
I have a Rye IPA in the fermenters that is down to final gravity. I'm waiting for some Citra leaf to be delivered for my dry hop. What is the consensus on dry hopping into the fermenters vs. in the keg for best flavor? I have Speidel fermenters so dry hopping in the fermenter is easy.

Dry hopping in primary works great. Just wait until the beer is finished fermenting.

Edit. Just realized how old this post is. You probably figured it out by now.

I try and use the Firestone Walker approach where dry hops are added to primary while there is still a small degree of fermentation left to complete. That helps consume any oxygen that is admitted to the fermenter.

I try and use the Firestone Walker approach where dry hops are added to primary while there is still a small degree of fermentation left to complete. That helps consume any oxygen that is admitted to the fermenter.

Same here.

It is crazy that this thread went so long without a reply. Sorry Bobcat!

I was just going to post that, Martin. And I believe transforms some of the oils into other compounds that some brewers like (e.g., geraniol - linaool). Might be wrong, can't recall it too well. Matt also hates diacetyl, so he kicks it up to 70 or so to let it right out to just a 1/2 point or so P above terminal for the diacetyl rest, then dry hops - if he's still doing it, it's not with cone hops but a pellet slurry - and this allows him to go with a short contact time (it really nails the beer, so 3 days is his protocol). He hates vegetal flavors, too, so wants very limited contact time. I know he double dry hops but can't speak to that as I don't recall they did that at Goose Island.

Any pellet slurry, massive dump of hop character over a short 3 day contact period, crash cool, fine, and rack. THat's what I learned from him, and that's what I do.

Back