Hop Twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis073005

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the diameter of twine should be for growing hops? I know the commercial guys use coir twine but it is a little expensive. I was hoping someone knows the diameter then maybe I can find somthing cheaper.

I just use regular twine from Home Depot, I got a bunch a couple years back for a couple bucks and it hasn't failed me yet.

I tried regular twine, but it tended to pull apart when it got windy. Had the same problem with the tomatoes, even though they were only 6' pieces. Any cord with two threads would probably work fine, diameter doesn't seem to matter.

I used nylon rope. I will be able to use it many years - no rot, no pulling apart - rated at 1000lbs so I shouldn't come close to maxing it out with hop cones... My first year hops grew 20+ feet tall so I don't believe it has any detrimental effects to the hop bines growth. Not sure if diameter has much impact other than strength (as long as the hop bines can hook their spiny hairs into it).

I like the utility of cheap Sisal 3/8" rope.

Cheap enough you don't care to save it. Strong enough it lasts through the season.

I used coir last year and it was crap.

I like the utility of cheap Sisal 3/8" rope.

Cheap enough you don't care to save it. Strong enough it lasts through the season.

I used coir last year and it was crap.

I used choir this year and as long as it doesn't spend prolonged time in contact with the ground, it should last you several seasons.

I also used sisal last year and it was good-not-great, but a good one-season alternative to choir and more readily available.

I used choir this year and as long as it doesn't spend prolonged time in contact with the ground, it should last you several seasons.

I also used sisal last year and it was good-not-great, but a good one-season alternative to choir and more readily available.

Mine never touched the ground.

"Should" and "does" are completely unrelated. Of 26 drops, 14 were degraded enough by the heat, wind, and storms of the plains that they snapped lowering the plants to the ground.

Mine never touched the ground.

"Should" and "does" are completely unrelated. Of 26 drops, 14 were degraded enough by the heat, wind, and storms of the plains that they snapped lowering the plants to the ground.

Maybe you just got unlucky. I had 28 stringers and every one of them lasted. We have some pretty good winds here too. took all 28 down when I cut down my hops and they are all in great shape to go another season at least.

I have found that the cheap twine from the hardware store/home depot works well, untill is gets damaged by the sun. UV rays seem to weaken it.

I have some really thin steel wound cable I am going to try, along with nylon rope, and some better twine. I am going to try a number of things to see what works best.

I used some 1/8" jute twine from the garden store and it didn't cut the mustard. It was a windy season, which didn't help, and I had to replace my supports because the first ones were too flexible. Re-tying the strings didn't help, either. Last year (less wind, no replacement of supports, but smaller bines) I didn't have trouble.

Next year I will use something heavier, perhaps nylon or polypropylene cord. I'd like to find something UV-protected but for the price of 1/4" PP, I could junk it each year.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I strung this with the cheapest Harbor Freight twine twisted around it to give the plants something to grip on. First year growing so I thought the twine was needed. The training wire looks like it could go another several years as long as you don't kink the stuff to badly. The one pure twine line I strung fell apart in a wind storm.

+1 on 3/8 sisal. I've done the twine and thinner jute rope and had something drop somewhere every year. The steel cable guy wires to power poles also work very well if you can find some workable spots. The harvest is a little more sketchy but you can't argue with free stucture.

I too like the idea of being able to compost the used twine, if not after one year then eventually. Being as I live on a hobby farm I could use a big spool of that baling twine. Would the standard sisal stuff hold up or would I be better off going with the poly?

Sisal rope (3/8") holds up, but it may not last multiple seasons. I've never used the poly. I get 3 seasons out of coir by taking them down over the winter and storing them in a shed.

Thanks for the info, I was just about to start a thread asking about this topic. It looks like someone beat me to it.

Okay, I went ahead and bought 9,000' of sisal baling twine from Farm & Fleet. $30. I'll probably run a double strand for each run. Any concerns about putting the two strands in the end of a power drill and twisting them together first? Would that sag worse later in the season?

Back