Hop Trellis Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshearer9

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I built a trellis and now I have to connect my poles that I built with wire. I'm wondering if I should put a pole in the middle of the two because the two that are in are 25 ft apart and they will be holding 7 plants. So if anyone could help out and tell me how to finish the trellis that would be nice. Also please if you could help me out with what kind of wire I should use. Thanks guys!

Here's the picture

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459017888.759976.jpg

What I would recommend is to pour concrete footings a few feet behind each pole with U-bolts sunk into the top. Attach 1/8 inch or greater metal wire to to the sides of each pole and loop it back around to the top through eye bolts. Use a ratchet strap on one side for tension. I've used eye bolts and ratchet straps to just go between the poles without the footings but have had a problem with deflection. Good luck. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459052575.315945.jpg

Alane1's post looks good to me except that I would be tracking down a couple serious stakes, or better yet, some screw anchors, which look like a steel stake with an eye on one end, and a spiral bit on the other that is used to dig it into the ground.

Having excavated a few chunks of concrete out of lawns, over the years, the screw in anchors are a really attractive option!

TeeJo

I just finished the re modification of my trellis using that design, I took TeeJo's advice and skipped the concrete, he raised a good point. The only problem is that the stakes I used were pulling out of the ground. To overcome this I attached eye bolts to the stakes horizontally underground and piled heavy rocks and dirt on top of them. This seems to have fixed the problem. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461772783.417716.jpg you can clearly see the difference in deflection in the two designsView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461772958.552025.jpg

Back