Hop Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
I've seen posts from a couple of you that have made hop tea as a beverage. I'd like some more info on the types of hops you've used and the amount to make a cup or so. I slept like crap last night and might try making hop tea to see if it actually helps or not.

I would also be interested in this "Hop Tea". I will follow this thread.:cross:

:off: I like the idea of Hop soap ( also on hops direct ). Should have a nice, natural pseudo anti bacterial action.

Also showing up completely sober at work and reeking of Fuggles or Cascade might be fun.

I made some hop tea from a couple ounces of some hops I got for Christmas. I boiled some water and an ounce of hops for 20 minutes and then threw some in when it had cooled a little bit. Umm...I can't say it was a quaffable beverage but interesting nonetheless. I might have another try someday using just a hot steep.

I think Im going to throw an Amarillo pellet or two into a bag of tea when I get home and see how that is.

I have made it a couple times from the spent leaf hops in my strainer while my wort is cooling.

I use a citrus juicer that looks like a pair of pliers:

I have the yellow one of these around anyway:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/kitchen+&+bar+tools/specialty+tools/fruit/citrus+juicers,+lime+.do

Leaf hops are very compressable, just load it up, squeeze. leave those hops in fill it again, squeeze, I can get probably what was half an ounce of hops in the lemon sized squeezer.

I squeeze into a coffee cup. Rememebr there is some pretty sweet wort in this too.

I ususally get most of a coffee cup of hop tea from a typical APA. One squirt of honey for me, that green stuff is pretty darn bitter.

I sleep like a lamb after that. I have never tried making it from scratch, I think the sweet hot wort in with the squeezins helps make it palatable. Heck, throw some DME in some boiling water and go man.

homebrewer_99 said:
Doesn't anyone Google any more? :mad:

Here's what I found: :D

http://www.brookstonbeerbulletin.com/hunts-hop-tea/

Yes Bill, I did Google. And I didn't find much recipe information for hop tea other than on the first couple of pages. I was looking more of a direct type of recipe as in 1oz hop X, 1 oz hop y with hot water is a good combination from someone who actually made it.

The one frickin time other than when I was a Noob that I come here for a little help without searching first and you shxt on me for not looking somewhere else. :confused: :mad:

(Just kidding Bill, I'm just flipping you a little shxt back). Like anything else I tend to trust recipes I get here, and wanted to hear from a forum member who has made some hop tea.)

I did an experiment last night with some Simcoe and a couple other hop varieties. Only a couple cones of each and I had some super bitter extreme hop tea, that stripped the lining off my stomach. Once I poured out half and diluted it, I had a fairly decent beverage similar to a regular green tea.

Didn't really help me sleep any better, but it didn't taste bad at all. I think the best way to procede is just to mix small amounts of different hop varieties and see which ones work out.

McKBrew said:
Yes Bill, I did Google. And I didn't find much recipe information for hop tea other than on the first couple of pages. I was looking more of a direct type of recipe as in 1oz hop X, 1 oz hop y with hot water is a good combination from someone who actually made it.

The one frickin time other than when I was a Noob that I come here for a little help without searching first and you shxt on me for not looking somewhere else. :confused: :mad:

(Just kidding Bill, I'm just flipping you a little shxt back). Like anything else I tend to trust recipes I get here, and wanted to hear from a forum member who has made some hop tea.)
Whew...you had me going there for a moment.:( ..I've made hop tea before, but for bittering a sweet brew, not for direct drinking...:D

Just decided to try coming up with something easy, worked out quite well.

I just put 2 dried hop cones in a tea cup. Fresh would probably be better, but this was an after thought to my harvest.

I heated up some water, dont boil, about 160 is better for making tea in my preference, it preserves some of the delicate flavors. If you dont believe me try a side by side comparison with your favorite regular tea using boiling and 160 degree water.

I poured the water right on top of the cones and added a spoonfull of honey (as I do with all my tea).

Let it steep for a few minutes and enjoy.

Got this one right on the first try! If only all my experiments were this successful.

You might take the cones out after several minutes, but I drank mine before I felt a need.

If its not strong enough add a couple more cones, if you like the tanniny, bitter flavor of tea, try it with boiling water.

side notes from cups 2 and 3:

To make it even easier, 8 ounces of boiling water plus one large ice cube = roughly 160 degrees.

Stirring and squeezing the cones a bit releases more of the lupulin goodness.

Let it sit too long and it starts to get bitter (should be obvious from what we all know about brewing).

Add a couple cones to your favorite tea for a new dimension, my favorites are peach and raspberry.

My SWMBO has one of those kureig things and the cup with a screen so you can use ground coffee instead of the overly expensive cups. I have put about .25oz of citra in it on multiple occasions and it tastes pretty good with a bit of sugar.

Hops have been an age old herbal remedy. I actually recall taking hops in herbal pill form when i was combating depression and anxioity along time ago when i wasnt ever drinking much.Not only that ,they have more health properties than known.They are a big part of promoting relaxation also.
I thought it was semi-interesting how the health market part of our store was promoting ipa's.and explaining the health properties of hops in beer.
And to really throw things off,they dont sell Coke like they used to....

PurpleJeepXJ said:
My SWMBO has one of those kureig things and the cup with a screen so you can use ground coffee instead of the overly expensive cups. I have put about .25oz of citra in it on multiple occasions and it tastes pretty good with a bit of sugar.

That's an awesome idea! Does it work with pellets?

Hops have been an age old herbal remedy. I actually recall taking hops in herbal pill form when i was combating depression and anxioity along time ago when i wasnt ever drinking much.Not only that ,they have more health properties than known.They are a big part of promoting relaxation also.
I thought it was semi-interesting how the health market part of our store was promoting ipa's.and explaining the health properties of hops in beer.
And to really throw things off,they dont sell Coke like they used to....

Hops are considered the closest strain of plant to marijuana ;)

Latest posts

Back