Hop tea vs whirlpool (sorta) vs flameout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaskdBagel

Reaction score
I see a bunch of threads on hop teas, but I haven't seen anything about this, specifically. Apologies if I just missed it.

I'm doing a second, revised version of my first brew ever this weekend (hoppy American saison), and one of the tweaks I've made to the recipe is the addition of a little late Citra.

My first idea was to put them in at :00 and rest for ten minutes before chilling.

My next idea was to trickle ground water through my chiller, try to hit 170, and hold THAT for ten minutes.

My idea as I was in a fog of waking up this morning is to get a French press (32 oz.) of 170 degree water ready, steep my .75 oz. of hops in that for 10-15 minutes, and dump it in the fermenter.

This one seems by far the easiest and most failproof, I'd expect more efficient extraction in 1.000 water than 1.075 wort, and it might even help bring my wort temperature back up a little. (My ground water is about 45 degrees, and my pitch target is 88. I couldn't hit 88 out of the chiller in one pass even if I tried - I have to chill then use my fermentation chamber to come back up before pitching.)

Surely someone's done this - it's so obvious. Anything I'm not thinking of? Any results to report?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back