Hop tea to lower FG??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejf063

Reaction score
So, for the first time, I grossly under-pitched and as a result, a beer that started at about 1.090 has finished at 1.028. This was-and still is -supposed to be a hoppy red ale. One that has more malt flavor, but hoppy aroma. With the high FG, I have achieved an overly malty tasting beer. I guess now, its more like a barleywine.
I have tried everything from adding more yeast, rousing, warming and even amalyse enzyme in an effort to lower that FG, but to no avail. So, I was thinking about getting about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of distilled water onto my stove, plus 1/2- 3/4 tsp of gypsum, bring to a boil, add about 1 ounce of Simcoe for 20 minutes, then cool to roughly 170, and add about 2 oz of Amarillo and 2more oz of Simcoe. after letting the hops steep for about 30 minutes, I would dump it into my beer.
I think this will lower my FG a little, and add some bitterness to offset the sweet malt. Any drawbacks to making such a large volume of hop tea?
Thanks for any foresight and assistance.

When you say you added yeast, did you just dump dry yeast into that alcohol rich environment. That can't work.

You'll be better served brewing a similar grain bill, lower OG (and lower FG) similarly hopped beer, and blending the two. The problem with adding that much water is that even after boiling water still contains a significant portion of oxygen, and you risk oxidizing the batch. By blending finished beer, the yeast will have already scrubbed all that oxygen out.

As you're diluting the beer I would say it will affect that maltiness/high fg and the concurrent increase in bitterness should have an effect on the perceived sweetness as well. Be aware though, I'm pretty sure hop oils isomerise differently in wort as opposed to just straight water. As @GCPHomebrew says, did you just put dry yeast into an already alcohol rich environment? It might be worth getting a bit of a starter going and then pitching that at high krausen when the yeast are at their most active and healthy.

Best of luck!

Well, I emailed white labs and told them what was up. I told them i would make a starter, etc and they advised me not to do that they simply said dump it in and hope for the best. I did just that---- I knew the alcohol content would be bad for the yeast and voiced that concern. They said not to worry and dump it in.... Nothing. I thought about blending but this is something for Christmas and didn't have the appropriate time. So that wasn't an option.
So.... Here's what I did: took 1 gallon distilled and added 1/2 tsp gypsum and an oz of Simcoe. Raised it to 180* added an oz of amarillo. Let the temp drop to 170ish and added 1 oz each simcoe and Amarillo. Let the temp drop to 140 then I freaked. I got real nervous about astringency etc. I ended up putting less than half of that into the keg with the beer and now it's carbing. The nice thing is that this fits the guidelines for barleywine. We'll see what happens

Back