Hop supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
I want to order a few 4 oz packs of hops. I'll probably get 4 of them to make a even pound. I was doing some research last night and it will save me 20-30 dollars even after shipping from my local brew store depending on what variety I get.

Now the question. What should I get? I was thinking cascade. Maybe magnum or Apollo for bittering

Will a sandwich bag in the freezer be enough to keep them fresh for 6 months?

First, ask your local homebrew shop if they do bulk discounts. Mine does. Of course it's still going to be cheaper ordering online, but with the recent downturn in homebrewing sales, some of those local shops are suffering a bit and could use the support.

As for which hop types to choose, this depends on what beers you brew most frequently. Great bittering hops from smoothest to most aggressive are Horizon, Magnum, Warrior, CTZ, and Chinook. As far as IPA flavor hops, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra are the most commonly used ones. If you do European beers, Hallertau, Saaz, Kent Goldings, and Styrian Goldings make a lot of sense.

I'm completely agree about supporting the shop. My wife and I had that conversation last night. I'll ask about a discount next time I'm in. What kind of quantity do you have to buy before you can discuss a bulk discount?

Thinking about my up coming brew schedule I'll be doing lots of banana hefewiesens and saisons till fall. What would you recommend for these?

For those beers, I'd suggest Perle for bittering, and Hallertau, Styrian Goldings and Strisselspalt as flavor hops.

As far as discounts go, my shop gives discounts if you buy more than 8 oz mix-and-match, and also on full pound bags. Other stores may require larger minimum orders.

Back