Hop substitutions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug

Reaction score
Hey folks...
I'm planning on brewing a Sierra Pale Ale clone in a few days. This recipe calls for Perle hops, which I've never heard of before, so I googled them and discovered that they are a Hallertauer hop. Due to the hop crisis, I am guessing I won't be able to get them at my HBS. I have never made beer that didn't come in a "kit", so I'm new to substituting hops. Looking through my books, it appears that I should be able to substitute some Norther Brewer hops for Perle, as they have a similar alpha acid index...is this how it works, or is substituting more of a science than just comparing alpha acid profiles? I have a few packs of Northern Brewer hops conveniently stashed in my freezer, so it would be great if this would work. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance...

You can adjust for AA% in a brew.

Make sure to look at the flavor profile of the hops you are going to substitute.

Standard IBU Formula

IBU = weight of hops in ounces x alpha acid % x utilization % volume of final batch in gallons x 1.34*
*constant to convert measurement into US standards

Example:

1 oz. of Northern Brewer (10% alpha acid) boiled for 60 minutes in a full-wort boil of moderate gravity wort for a five-gallon batch.

IBU = 1 x 10 x 30 / 5 x 1.34 = 44.77

Let's say you are using last year's recipe but the alpha acid of your hops has changed to 8% alpha acid. You will need to solve for the weight of hops with the new alpha acid percent. Rearrange the formula so that...

weight of hops in ounces =

IBUs desired x volume of final batch in gallons x 1.34* / alpha acid percent x utilization percent
*constant to convert measurement into US standards

oz. hops = 44.77 x 5 x 1.34 / 8 x 30 = 1.25 oz. hops

They have perle on midwestsupplies.com I didnt look anywhere else but I'm sure some others do too. They are domestic which makes them more available right now, they are also just a hallertau hybrid or variation or whatever the technical botany term is so its not the same plant or anything.

I assume they are for bittering additions, right? I assume that because SNPA finishes with Cascade. I think Northern Brewer would be a fine substitute if you cannot get the Perle, plus if you have it, why not use it.

Thanks for the replies!
I saw the word "Hallertau" and immediately assumed they would be unobtainable...but if they're a domestic, I'm hoping I'll score some tomorrow. If not, I'll use the formula- I suck at math, but one of my friends is a former mathlete, so I"ll enlist her help. Beerific, I do have some cascades lying around too...maybe I'll look at a couple of other recipes. Anyway, I'm set one way or the other. Thanks again...:mug:

Thanks for the chart, McKBrew...
Well, I just got back from the Brew and Grow. I went there instead of the Wine and Hop place because B&G is closer. There were all sorts of hops in their hop fridge, including Hallertau. I guess I figured that a lot of my choices would be unobtainable because the kits I've been getting from the Wine and Hop shop have been substituting out a lot of hops for others. So, no worries. I stocked up on a few packets as I saw no postings about being limited in hop purchases, so what the heck. I always get the feeling the B&G is a front for some other business...I never see any other customers in the place and nobody who works there knows anything about brewing. Once, one of my friends accompanied me to the place and joked about people buying pot growing supplies there and the guy working there got kind of edgy.:D Thanks for all the help!

I'd get edgy too if you were slyly asking me how to grow pot. :)

I've found that the "shortage" means that some varieties are in short supply and that some are just gone. Anything that I can get (which is all of the "big ones") normally, I've got at my LHBS in decent quantities - they're just more expensive.

Back