Hop substitutions??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
So, I want to do a recipe that calls for cascade and centennial hops. I was hoping that what I have in my freezer can substitute for these varieties.

What I have is Sterling, Hallerteau, Willamette and Nothern Brewer

thanks!

I was thinking substitute willamette for cascade and northern brewer for centennial?

You can check out my hop subsitution chat here, click on the link at the bottom of my page for a more complete list: Should I Brew That » Hop Substitution Chart

Sterling - Saaz, Lublin
Hallertau - Liberty, Tettnanger, Mt. Hood, Vangaurd, Tradition
Willamette - Styrian Golding, Target, Fuggle, Tettnanger, Glacier
Northern Brewer - Nugget, Chinook, Columbus, Bullion, Perle, Styrian Aurora

LOL...I wasnt even close. I guess I will have to buy yet more hops that I will end up having to throw out; oh well

Don't throw them out! :drunk: Put your extra hops in the freezer, they will keep for a long time. Hop substitution deals with using similar alpha acid percentages as well as flavor/aroma so if you can find something close to the original AA you should be ok. Don't be afraid to change up the recipe a bit, especially if you intend to throw out your extra hops!! :ban:

So, I want to do a recipe that calls for cascade and centennial hops. I was hoping that what I have in my freezer can substitute for these varieties.

What I have is Sterling, Hallerteau, Willamette and Nothern Brewer

thanks!

I was thinking substitute willamette for cascade and northern brewer for centennial?

Those are some of my favorite hops, but none of them are the "citrusy american" variety like cascade or centennial.

Why on earth would you throw them away?

Any chance someone else has a hop substitution chart? I cant get fermantor's chart to load. Im looking to substitute .5oz of fuggles in a mild ale. The recipe calls for 2oz of fuggles and i have 1.5oz in the freezer. Any ideas,

Any chance someone else has a hop substitution chart? I cant get fermantor's chart to load. Im looking to substitute .5oz of fuggles in a mild ale. The recipe calls for 2oz of fuggles and i have 1.5oz in the freezer. Any ideas,

Willamette is a great substitution for Fuggles.

Brew365 lists these as reasonable substitutions:
Willamette, Styrian Golding, Tettnanger, Newport

Back