Hop Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So...I am on a time limit and I have to brew tomorrow. I've waited on my mail, but it is already 2 days late and not sure if it will come in. The catch is that it has my Amarillo hops that I want to use in my brew. I am looking for substitutions.

Here is original recipe (American Amber Ale...modified from something I found online):
7.25 lb Pale Malt
2.5 lb Munich Malt
1.0 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb Crystal 15L
0.3 lb Chocolate Malt (450)

6.69g Magnum (60 min)
36.81g Cascade (15 min)
24.67g Amarillo (15 min)
13.28g Centennial (15 min)

Wyeast 1056

My thoughts on substitution, based on research:
Same grain bill
Same yeast
6.69g Magnum (60 min)
61.5g Cascade (15 min)
13.28g Centennial (15 min)

This substitution drops the IBUs just a little (I am okay with that), but I am not sure what it will do with the flavor of the beer. Any thoughts or other suggestions? Will the beer still be decent?

Cascade is nowhere near Amarillo in terms of aroma and flavour, but it can work well along with Centennial. The hop profile will be different. However, adding the hops and boiling them for 15 minutes, will pretty much chase away most of their aroma and flavour. You can simply add more Magnum at 60 minutes and then add all remaining hops at flameout, with or without cooling down the wort before adding the hops. If yo do not want hop aroma, but strictly a generic " hoppiness " with hints of hops, then your schedule will work fine.

Your grain bill will pretty much overpower the amount of hops you are using, which is why you need a firm bitterness in there, to balance out the flavours and sweetness added by the Crystal malts and the Munich.

Amarillo, when used properly, will add aromas and flavours of sweet tangerines, sweet oranges, light tropical notes. You can also get grapefruit from Amarillo, but I think that happens when the hops are not properly flushed and packaged with nitrogen. ( or old-er* )

Back