Hop Substitution - Spalt for NB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitteral

Reaction score
Quick question about hop substitution: I was preparing to make a pale ale today, Palmer's Lady Liberty, and as I was getting set up, realized that I don't have any Northern Brewer, which the recipe calls for as a bittering hop:

0.5 NB 11% - 60 min
0.5 Cascade 6% - 30 min
1.0 Cascade 6% - 15 min

The closest that I have on hand for bittering is Spalt. Is it reasonable to substitute the Spalt for NB as the bittering hop? (I know how to calculate the amount to substituted based on the AAUs of the Spalt.) Will there be a substantial impact on the end product?

Spalt is a radically different hop from NB. But, at the bittering stage it won't make too much difference. Nuggett & Chinook are closer. I'd be tempted to use the Cascades for bittering & the Spalt at 15.

david_42 said:
Spalt is a radically different hop from NB. But, at the bittering stage it won't make too much difference. Nuggett & Chinook are closer. I'd be tempted to use the Cascades for bittering & the Spalt at 15.

I do have a total of 2 oz Cascade. So I'm guessing that this might be a better way to go if I want to get something more like the original recipe:

1.0 Cascade 6% - 60 min
0.5 Cascade 6% - 30 min
0.5 Cascade 6% - 15 min

Right?

Unless someone suggests otherwise, looks like I'm going for the following:

1.2 Cascade 6% - 60 min
0.5 Cascade 6% - 30 min
0.5 Cascade 6% - 15 min
0.5 EKG 6% - 15 min

I added the 0.5 EKG to get the IBUs up to the desired area. The last addition has to be made from some leftovers that I have: EKG, Saaz, Williamette, or Spalt. (I have only 2.2 oz Cascade.) I went with the EKG since it seems like a safe choice.

Any suggestions/feedback welcome. Thanks.

Back