Hop stranding around kettle during boil - leave it or push it back into the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I almost never deal with this, and when I have in the past I've just used my standby spray bottom to squirt them off the kettle sides back into the boil. Yesterday I brewed my IPA for the 4th or so time and it was very windy out so I ran my burner high. When I added my 3oz of 10min left hops it kept foaming up, then dropping, then repeating so that lead to a ring of stranded hops. I didn't want to add any more water since I was already using extra to compensate for when I add the dry hops and only minutes left so I left it. Was thinking in the future I can use a spoon to push them back down but was wondering what you all do. Leave it or push them back into the boil?

Rev.

I usually use my spoon and scrape it back in. With hop prices as they are I use everything LOL

Scrape them down into the boil. Any hops that aren't in your boil are hops that aren't adding anything to your beer.

I would imagine with pellets it's less important- anything that's in there is going to get extracted pretty quickly, but i still scrape them in. Maybe just superstitious.

Back