Hop Storage in Beer Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrclasen

Reaction score
If it is better to store your hops in the freezer how come when you purchase beer kits from a local home brew shop they just let the hops sit in the beer kit box at room temperature? Do they do something different with the packaging that allows them to store the hops at room temperature so the hops flavor won't degrade?

Nope. If the kits just sit there for a short time, it's no big deal. But, this is a good part of the reason why you don't want to buy old kits.

I was wondering about that one myself. Let alone the yeast in the kit. If the hops are in a vacuum sealed,nitrogen purged pouch,I guess they'd be ok for a short time. But I just can't imagine it would be really good flavor-wise to let the kits sit on the shelf for an indeterminate amount of time. Since I put my own recipe together this time,I was able to get my hops out of the LHBS's fridge,where they keep the hops & yeast separately for those not using those 2 things out of a kit. Then into my fridge's butter cubby on the fridge door,since it has a clear lid like a roll top desk. It's been perfectly fine so far.:mug:

if you are worried about it ask your LHBS if they will allow you to swamp out ingredients from the kit to fresh. Thats what the one i go to allows with no additional cost if using same amount/type.

Back