Hop Stopper - Screen info?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
Does anyone know more info on the SS screen used in the Hop stopper?

i am looking for wire size and opening size.

Also i am having issues finding SS "twine" to sew everything up. Would using stripped copper wiring work?

TIA

What did you pay for the 30x30? I primarily use pellet hops since they keep so much longer and i would have cold break since i use a IC.

On the hopstopper website it indicates it works best with some whole hops in the boil, what else could be used to help maintain filtering? Something that would allow filtering, but not affect flavor. We use similar techniques in mashes already, so i figured something might be available to use in a boil situation.

Worse comes to worse, i could just continue to use hop bags for pellets.

I only got the 12 x 12" sheet, but if you want max coverage it would be 12 x 24" for $16 and change.

Oh, lockwire... 8860K12
Type 302/304 Stainless Steel Safety Lock Wire .020" Diameter, 1/4-lb Spool, 233' Spool
In stock at $8.01 Each

I still think you're going to be disappointed if you use all pellet and have cold break. The bags will still have more surface area. Are you planning on using a plate chiller?

Nope i have a 50' 1/2" Immersion Chiller.

I might just have to make one of those nifty paint strainer hop bags for the pellets.

Currently i just use fine mesh hop bags, and secure them to a hanger sitting on top of the keggle.

On a side note, i love having a McMaster-Carr local to me.

Yeah, there's a Mcmaster location about 4 miles away here. If I were to stick with an IC, I'd probably whirlpool and direct the siphon tube off the the side a bit instead of straining.

I wish mine was 4 miles away. Mine is ~30 min drive, but worth it to browse in person. I get lots of parts there for my car projects.

I have a question about hops and straining them out.

My first 2 batches, nearly everything from the kettle made it into the primary. I got very nice hop flavor on the BB Cali IPA kit, and the morebeer imperial stout is one week in the bottle, just popped one, seeds time yet, but definitely hop aroma and flavor. This batch, I strained the big particles out between kettle and primary. Its a midwest Pikes IPA kit. I am hoping for a nice hoppy IPA like the BB kit.

Is straining out the hop leftovers after the boil going to affect anything? Am I missing out? A lot of people use bags, screens, hop balls, etc. But do you still get all the good hoppy flavor? Or are people using these methods making less hoppy brews? I would be curious to hear.

Still have to be careful racking to not transfer too much trub and yeast, so why bother with the hop screens?

People that use external heat exchanger type chillers need to do at least coarse filtering of hop and break material because they're prone to clogging, especially plate chillers.

I got the 30x30, ill post up with i have everything assembled. Also i got a 5/8 SS compression fitting from McMaster and the bottom nut doesnt look stainless....i am going to see if it will polish up, and if not, they will be getting a piece of my mind.

I never really answered your question before, but the reason for the hop screen is to keep crap out of my pump. I have very little space to store stuff so the stand i am putting together is barely off the ground and i use pumps to move everything around.

Back