Hop spider to end all hop spiders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjpfeister

Reaction score
As I'm putting together an eBrutus2.0, I find myself weighing my hop-sludge reduction options. On my current setup I sometimes use a hop spider, sometimes I don't. In the past, I have used those 2" tea balls to hold 1/2 oz of hops each.

This got me to thinking about some sorta stainless mesh mega hop spider, the likes of we have all dreamed about while perusing the aisles of kitchen stores looking for items to re-purpose for our brewing needs. You know, something that wouldn't get all tangled up in churning wort, or possibly melt against a hot metal surface...

Well, I stumbled upon these guys while googling them internets this afternoon:
http://www.greatcoffeeequipment.com/servlet/the-453/Fetco-A112/Detail
http://www.greatcoffeeequipment.com/servlet/the-454/Fetco-A113/Detail

Now the dimensions given don't seem to match the pictures, but they certainly get you day dreaming! So I was wondering, does anybody have any experience working with these, say at a restaurant or airport or something? I can't seem to find any info on the Fetco website. The price certainly seems fair for a mecha-hop-spider that would reach from rim to bottom of a keggle, you know?

Okay, I confirmed those are the shipping dimenions (packaging). Now the questions remains, how big are these things?

Wow, those do look good. This is one of the last items I need before I brew on my new system. I will probably just use some paint strainer bags until someone pops on one of these. Make sure to post pics.

Gunmetal, get your own battle-plan! :mug: okay, okay, there is a good chance I will be the first to pull. I'm waiting to hear back from my sister who works for commercial-kitchen retail company, hoping to get some exact dimensions.

I have used stocking feet suspended from the airlock with a piece of thread. Works very good, although you have to be careful removing it ( it swells up after being suspended in the beer for a couple of weeks).

I got the dimensions from my sister. The A112 is 9.5" tall, the cylinder portion is 8.75" tall, the cylinder diameter is 1" and the top diameter is 2.75". The A113 is 8.0" tall, the cylinder is 7.5" tall, the cylinder diameter is 2.5" and the top is 3.5" in diameter.

Her pricing is on par with the website's because she also has to order directly from Fetco. I wonder why the packaged height of the A113 is listed at 24". Oh well, these might work for somebody's build, but I'm looking for something a little taller.
:mug:

I have been eyeballing stainless 26 mesh (26 strands per inch). I might just construct what I need. If I do, It'll be in a different post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! That had me intrigued. A bit small though.

As an approximation, pretend that the tea ball is a cylinder. The volume is 3.25 x pi x 4.25 = 46.75 cu. in.

This one http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Lock-Spice-Infuser-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0047Z2FKW/ref=pd_sim_k_5 would be 5.5 x pi x 5.5 = 95.0 cu. in., or twice the volume - would hold a lot more hops.

Apologies for bringing a dead thread back to life, but I just discovered it while researching hop spiders. I think this jumbo tea ball would be pretty useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back