Hop Spider question. Benefits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was donated a hop spider. I haven't used it and it's been sitting around. I'm brewing an IPA tonight (all pellet hop).

What is the benefit in using it? Is it recommended? Should it be used for all additions?

I brew 6.5 gall batches and try and whirlpool everything post boil. Then siphen the wort into the fermenter.

The benefit is that it keeps hop gunk out of the fermenter, and out of pumps and certain types of chillers if you have those in your system.

The negative is that it may, stress may, impact hop utilization, and the stainless canisters are a pain to clean.

If you have an effective means of containing hops post-boil, or if not doing so doesn't concern you, then it would seem to be a superfluous piece of equipment. But if you have been frustrated by hop trub, it's very effective. Not really a big deal either way - try it and see.

Back