Hop spacing issue

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DuffMan77

Reaction score
So I purchased 1 mt hood and 1 Golding rhizome last summer and grew them in pots. Around the end of the summer I put them in the ground and let them grow a little before it got cold. I intended to have the area I was going to grow them in cleared and ready by the start of this summer but I don't yet. My question is I planted them about 2 feet apart which I know is way to close but i figured it would only be for the summer at most. Can I expect any problems from this if I left them alone until next spring where I would then move them to about 5 ft apart? Has anyone transplanted a second/third year plant without any issues?

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
You should be able to move the crowns, just dig em up good. I wouldn't wait any longer than you have too though. Or you could just leave em there and start cutting off rhizomes and get crazy.

ThreeDogsNE

Good for what ales you
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How much growth do they have on them? If you have bines of any significant length, I would vote for leaving them alone through this growing season. You should be able to transplant the crowns this fall after the bines die back with much less shock and much less risk to the plants. If you have to move them, they'll be better off if moved when dormant, and will have more carbohydrate (energy) stored in the larger crown to get them off to a better start next Spring.

B-Hoppy

Reaction score
Like was mentioned before, I would just leave them to do their thing this season. By Fall, you should have some time to get their new homes ready for a transplant. When that time comes just dig the crowns up and move them. Second year plants should have a pretty well developed crown but most likely not a lot of lateral creep - unless the soil was very loamy/sandy, and you should be able to recover any rhizomes that were trying to sneak away. If you miss a couple, no biggie as you'll see them starting to pop up next spring. At that point you can dig them up and replant, give to a friend or whatever else you want, but as long as you got the majority of the crown last fall you'll be fine. String up what you have and enjoy the Summer.

OP
DuffMan77

DuffMan77

Reaction score
I think I'll just leave them for the summer then since they are already both above 6 ft tall and then tranplant them in the fall. Thank you for the help