Hop Soil Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconsi

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Since the hop growing season is about to start, or has already started for you lucky individuals in warmer climates. I want to tell everyone about a great soil additive that was introduced to me by a professional landscaper last year that really boosted my hop growth. It's not something that you would use all season, but it will definitely give your hops a good boost at the beginning of the growing season.

To give you a little back story on my hops that I planted last year. I got rhizomes from the Colonial Williamsburg nursery. I saw hops growing in the colonial garden and got to talking to the gardener about them. I asked if they ever sold dormant rhizomes (it was the middle of June). She said no, but they do like to share, and she dug them out of the ground right then and there for me.

I was worried that the rhizomes would not grow because they were dug up when they were fully active and very susceptible to transplant shock. I was very careful to give them the soil that they wanted, and in a few weeks they started coming up.

Then my friend suggested that I get this stuff called "Bumper Crop" made by Coast of Maine. It's what he describes as "Miracle Grow on Steroids." He once placed it on a aqua garden that was near a stump for a tree that had been cut down 5 years prior, the stump was drilled, then salted. The Bumper Crop caused the tree to start growing again.

I cannot tell you how magic this stuff is. My hops were growing inches a day before I started using it, then I threw on a bag and they started growing feet a day.

It's really easy to use, just spread a bag of the dirt over you growing area, and when it rains next all of the nutrients are absorbed by the soil and you get good growth. It's all organic and all natural, so unlike Miracle Grow it won't leave your plants vacant of nutrients after it's gone.

Check it out, I swear by it and so does the nursery I buy it from. They go through pallets of it every week.

Looks like good stuff. I just bought a bag on amazon. It said that the manufacturer has discontinued that product (who knows if that is true or not). I also ordered a bottle of Superthrive which I have read is awesome for plants when you repot them.

Sounds like a product sold around me called Sweet Peat...stuff is awesome. Compost, worm casings, mycorrhizae and all sorts of other good things. Makes the veggies thrive and helps with soil tilth. Planting my first rhizome this year, and I'm guessing I'll see similar results!

Both products I had ordered arrived in the mail today. I can't wait to repot three cascades to larger 5 gallon buckets. I also purchased 4 new crowns for this year from Great Lakes Hops. 1 cascade, 1 centennial, 1 nugget, and 1 williamette. I will probably put those into 5 gallon buckets as well so I don't have to repot them in a year or so. Very excited for the weather to get a little warmer here so I can get planting. My current 3 cascade crowns are just starting to peak through the mulch so I need to get things going.

I planted two rhizomes on Saturday in my crappy clay soil. Dug holes for each, filled with 1 part peat moss, 1 part compost and manure, 2 parts top soil, and a sprinkling of bumper crop. On Sunday, one rhizome had broken the surface, on Monday both had broken the surface. One has an inch-long sprout, the other has a half-inch-long sprout. The stuff is magic.

Back