Hop Slicin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
Please direct me to another thread if there is one already posted.

I have a 2nd yr. cascade that is sprouting again. It is possible for me to "carefully" hack the thing in half so that i can plant its twin in a new location?

Yup. What I've done, is you'll like found some sprouts coming up a little further way from the rest, just dig that one up rather than disturbing the main mass of the rhizomes.

If you're talking about the purple sprout above ground, then No.
If you're talking about the root 3in under ground, then Yes.
I cut a small piece of my Chelan root system and the sucker sprouted right up(in a box with damp towel for three days to get it growing then in soil).
Remember, it's a weed. It's hard to kill those things;)

They are definitely weeds and after the first year you'll have to work pretty hard to kill them. Hops should be root pruned to a foot or so in diameter every three years to keep them happy. That will provide more rhizomes than you'll ever need. You can also divide the main plant early in the season (before the sprouts are 6" high). Just chop them up into several pieces and replant.

Tom

Back