Hop shortages are no good for IPAs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I made a recipe for an IPA using 1 oz of simcoe and 3 oz of cascade...I placed my order for, not realizing beer-wine.com changed their rules from 4oz of hops per week...to 1 oz per 7 lbs of grain or extracts...so...they sent me 1 oz.
I planned on using the 1 oz simcoe for bittering and 2oz of the cascade for flavor/aroma and the last 1 oz of cascade for dry hopping. The 1 oz of simcoe is still coming but, that leaves me with 1 oz simcoe and 1 oz of cascade....
what should I do???
We have about .5 oz saaz, .5 oz mt. hood, and an extra .5 oz of cascade left over from other batches... and that's about it...again, what should I do!?

Time to brew some milds and belgians! It's true, the hop shortage is going to hit home hard on homebrewers, but we have to do what we can to get through it. For me, it's going to mean making IPAs less often, as well as experimenting with new hops and new combinations of hops. But just remember, it's not permanent, the hop shortage will end.

MayoIsEvilBeerIsGood said:
lol I'm not terribly experienced with decent hop combinations. Was trying to keep this one simple but that seems next to impossible now!

I would go under the recipes section and look at the ingredients sticky thread. There are some great links that explain the different kinds of hops and substitutions for them.

hops are hops. you toss enough in the boil, and you'll get bitter. i've never been a huge hop head, and i rarely do aroma additions. so i've just had to switch to u.s. grown varieties. no more ekg, which is sad, but i've found a few i like from fresh hops.

I'm definitely considering throwing in all the excess hops in the beginning of my boil. Hoping not to get any conflicting flavors and just keep the bitter...
And thanks Professor Frink, I'll check those out. Maybe something creative will hit me when reading the links. And glad to see we have a Mets fan down there in NC!

I'm definitely considering throwing in all the excess hops in the beginning of my boil. Hoping not to get any conflicting flavors and just keep the bitter...
And thanks Professor Frink, I'll check those out. Maybe something creative will hit me when reading the links. And glad to see we have a Mets fan down there in NC!

You betcha! Just waiting for them to finish the deal for Johan.

when i heard about the shortage last year i started stocking up. everytime i order from ahbs(sorry austinhomebrew.com) i order some random varity of hops. now i have a freezer full of different hops. of course now when i find a recipe i have to refer to a substitution chart. it's cool checking out all the different hops since i've only been brewing for a year.

I usually just order what I need per batch. But now I know for the next hop shortage! Actually my friend and I ordered a bunch of rhizomes so we will be growing some this spring...I just wish we did that last year!
And Professor Frink...we just have to make sure Gomez and Humber are total little league hacks! The Mets have a tendency to trade away all stars.

I usually just order what I need per batch. But now I know for the next hop shortage! Actually my friend and I ordered a bunch of rhizomes so we will be growing some this spring...I just wish we did that last year!
And Professor Frink...we just have to make sure Gomez and Humber are total little league hacks! The Mets have a tendency to trade away all stars.

Gomez is a great defensive outfielder with awesome speed, but he'll never be much of a hitter. Humber has never, and never will be, the same after Tommy John surgery, he lost velocity and his curve doesn't break as much. Guerra is a great prospect, but only 18 years old. Kevin Mulvey is another good prospect but doesn't have much of an out pitch. All told, keeping F-Mart and Pelfrey, the Twins got fleeced.

Yeah, I was scared they were going to add Fernando Martinez to the deal. Omar Minaya seemed to be getting a little desperate for a starter. I love Mike Pelfrey! I just hope he produces more than he did last year.

Save your Simcoe and Cascade for late hop additions if you can and use the others for the full 90 minutes. You will get the bitterness from the Saaz and Mt. Hood and the flavor and aroma that are good in IPAs from the Cascade and Simcoe. Maybe start adding most of those at 20 minutes to go so you get some bitterness from them too.

If you recalculate your recipe to use your other hops for bittering and you are still short on IBUs, you may have to use some of the Simcoe to bitter (I am assuming it would be the higher AA% between it and the Cascade and you would therefore have to use less of it, saving more for late hopping).

Hops are still relatively easy to come by at reasonable prices. If you planning on brewing with Cascade this year, I highly recommend you get yourself a pound or two before they are all done. But yea... short of that... f- it ... belgian! Get 12oz of Styrian Golding and you'll be all set for the year ;)

Ok, luckily my friend had some extra challenger as well! I just did all my calculations and end up with about 55 IBUs. Bittering with challenger and goldings, using an ounce of simcoe and a half of cascade for flavor/aroma and dry hopping with an ounce of cascade. Now, if I just have good efficiency this should be a decent brew! Thanks for the help everyone.
I love Belgians...just not every batch!!!

Very excellent, it sounds like your friend's Challenger is a much-needed High-AA boost to your IPA cause!
Another variant is perhaps the Challenger and the Mt Hood instead of the Simcoe for your bittering hops..... then I would look at splitting a little Simcoe at 30, and more at 5 or 0 min, and probably the same for cascade, 30, 5, 0.

sirsloop said:
Get 12oz of Styrian Golding and you'll be all set for the year ;)
Tell me where to find some Styrian. My blonde needs them. I don't want to sub Williamette!

Back