Hop shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfoutis

Reaction score
Currently about halfway through my mash.

Just upgraded from a 5 gallon system to a 10. I doubled the grain bill for the recipe I was using, but foolishly forgot to double up on my hops.

I'm brewing a porter, and it calls for 1.75 oz Kent Goldings bittering, .75 fuggle flavoring, .75 Kent Goldings aroma for 5 gallons, when really I need double that

So I have 3 oz of Kent Goldings and 1 oz fuggle.

Is there anyway I can utilize my hops to make up for my shortage? add at a different time in the boil, etc? (brew store is closed.)

I'd say put most of hops in for bittering and save a little for the 30 min mark. Porters aren't super hoppy especially since it looks like you are going for an English style porter

should I skip aroma entirely, or just pick up hops tomorrow and dry hop very conservatively?

What shoreman said. I'd say skip the aroma hops, they'll fade away fast anyway. Push the aroma EKG back to about 30 minutes, maybe do the same with the fuggles. These aren't high alpha hops so I think it will be fine.

You can always dry hop later if you think it needs it, but that probably isn't a big issue in a porter.

Latest posts

Back