Hop selection with Chinook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
Getting an IPA from NB with 3oz chinook hops. 1oz. -60min, .5-30min, .5-1min, 1oz-DH(7ds)

i have a few extra hop bags laying around. wondering if a specific one of these will give good hop aroma with Chinook.

1oz each:
Northerbrewer - 8AA
Brewers Gold - 9.7AA
Cascade - 5AA
Kent Golding - 4.5AA

p.s. what does a continuous addition do for the bitter/flavor/aroma?

I have a couple of IPA recipes that use Chinook and other hops. One of my favorites uses 1 oz.Chinook for bittering @ 60 min. and ends with 1.5 oz Cascades @ 5 min. There are other hop additions with this, but to answer your question, the Cascades go well as a late addition in an IPA.

Hopefuuly someone will chime in on this for you, I don't know enough about it and don't want to pass on bad info.

I don't know what that 30 minute addition is doing. I'd move it to 60 mins.

I like all-Chinook (think Arrogant Bastard).

Cascade would be a good compliment; probably the best of those you have. If you want to add it, maybe .5 ozs at flame out and .5 ozs dry.

I don't know what that 30 minute addition is doing. I'd move it to 60 mins.

I think that is a bad idea, and I don't think anyone can reasonably make that determination without seeing the grain bill, and complete recipe.

I too like cascade with chinook. Think SN Celebration!!

Back