Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Burbank

Reaction score
I’m brewing an IPA with three hops on the hopping schedule. The first two are in pellet form & the last is a leaf.

The leaf and one other go in at 5 minutes to finish.

I wanted to make sure I did the next step correct. Should I strain the wert before putting it into the carboy, like I usually would? Or is it meant to have the leafy hops in there?

If you have a hop sock or mesh bag I would put the leaf hops in that and just toss the whole thing into the boil. If you dont have it just leave it with the rest of the trub. It will settle to the bottom during fermentation.

Stain out the hops from the kettle.
You may want to bag the lose leaf hops to make it a bit easier to remove them. Or you could whirlpool.

IF you don’t strain them out, or some fall into your carboy I would put a nylon bag around the bottom of your siphon when bottling or transferring to a secondary so the leaf hops don’t clog up your siphon.

Back