Hop schedule help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
Hey folks, so I need some help coming with a hop schedule for my red rye ipa. It'll be the first brew I've made at home, and it's a tribute to my late stepmother. Here's the grain bill, I'm guessing I might have a bit less than 70 percent efficiency, which is ok! It's for a 10 gallon batch

18 lbs marris otter
6 lbs rye malt
2 lbs Caramunich I
.5 lb roasted barley
.5 lb crystal 120

Now for the hop schedule I want to use Columbus, citra, and galaxy. I'm a fan of late additions, and I like the bitterness to be smooth and upfront rather than lasting. I'm thinking I'll split the batch in two fermenters, use an Irish ale yeast in one and an English in another. Or American and English. Love to get some advice on the hop schedule! Thanks everyone! I'm definitely not gonna change my mind again this time it swear

I would FWH with a neutral hop like Chinook. Columbus if you want it only those three hops.
Then I'd do all of my other hop additions at 10 or less.
For a dry hop I would do 2 parts Galaxy to 1 part Columbus and 1 part Citra.

Good reply sir. That's along the lines I was thinking, and I totally didn't think of the FWH to replace the typical 60 min addition. Since I have Galena on hand I'd use that for bittering. How's this look?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 13.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 12.18 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.04 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 14.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
18 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 67.3 %
2 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.5 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
6 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 22.4 %
0.75 oz Galena [12.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10. Hop 8 7.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 7.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 4.3 IBUs
4.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 19 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast 16 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 26 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 63.75 qt of water at 164.3 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

EDIT: also, how much rice hulls should I add if I'm using the BIAB mehtod?

If you're set on the mash temp and the estimated IBU as they are then it looks good. I have no experience making any rye IPA's but I'm going more and more dry on my IPAs. You might want to reduce the amount of crystal malts. But that is just my opinion.
I can't help you on rice hulls for biab sorry.

Looks good to me, though I agree with lowering the mash temp and I'd personally go with the American yeast or at least something with a little higher attenuation. You don't need rice hulls, there is no such thing as a stuck sparge with BIAB.

Thanks guys. I actually just set the method and BIAB mash it just set that temp but yes I did notice it should be lower around 154 or so. And no rice hulls then, since I'm just mashing in the bag and squeezing the grains to collect the wort. And for the yeast, I was really considering that white labs "best of both worlds" yeast. Do you guys think this beer would benefit from replacing some of the base grain with corn sugar to dry it out a bit?

Sugar for dryness? Yes with a step mash also. Yeast? I love bry-97 for my IPA. Hop schedule? I mash hop then hopstand/ hopburst then dry hop. Goodluck

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use half of the bag of rice hulls. I have found they do help with water running through the grains. I do always squeeze the bag but I let the gravity decide if I pour it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks GCP. May consider adding some sugar to dry it out maybe a couple lbs. Rice hulls I shall decide on when I buy the ingredients. Is 154 still to high? I know 150 is a good temp for most IPAs, but considering the grain bill maybe 152 is the sweet spot. Also, is the step mash neccesary? Not that I have a problem doing it but it might make the BIAB brew day more simple if I forgo it. One thing that's been nagging me, is the grain bill too complicated? To explain what I'm going for: The MO is because I want the grain bill to be mostly english, the rye because well rye TASTY and everything else is for color.

I'm happy with the hop schedule now so that won't be changed, unless I employ the no chill method which I might have to do.

Back