Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
I intend to do a 6g fullish boil and need to know the correct hop schedule for my extract kit. I will be using a new burner and it has been pouring all day so haven't been able to test my boil off rates. I have a SQ14 Bayou Classic and a 7g(maybe) masterbuilt aluminum turkey pot.
Much thanks. If there is a link to do this without brewing software please lmk!

NB Rebel Rye Porter
KIT INVENTORY:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.75 lbs English Medium Crystal
- 0.5 lbs English Black Malt
FERMENTABLES
- 2 lbs Amber dried malt extract
- 6 lbs Rye malt extract syrup
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz Nugget (60 min)
- 1 oz US Fuggle (30 min)
- 1.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS
- 2 oz US Medium Plus Oak Cubes (add to secondary)
- 16 oz rye whiskey (not included) (add to secondary)
YEAST
- DRY YEAST (DEFAULT): Safale S-04. Optimum
temperature: 64–75°F

I'm guessing no one answered because we don't really know what you're asking.
You listed your Hop schedule: Start your boil and when you get your hotbreak, add the Nuggets and set your timer for 60 minutes. At 30 minutes, add your Fuggles. At 5 minutes add the Cascades.
If you're asking how much volume to start with so you get 6G at the end of the boil, no one can tell you that. Each system has a different boiloff rate, and it even varies with environmental temp, humidity and atmospheric pressure. You'll figure it out after a couple of batches. As a broad general guess, a 60 minute boil will boiloff somewhere between 1 G and 2 G, so split the difference and start with 7.5 G. You can always topoff if you volume is low.
Oops-saw you have a 7G pot. So, start with whatever volume you can safely boil without getting a huge spill at hotbreak. Probably only about 6G. Then with your boiloff you'll wind up with less than 5G, so you'll have to topoff to make 6. Good luck and good brewing!

No, sorry, I was just asking about the adjustments to the hop schedule for a full boll rather than the partial boil that extract kits instruct you to do. It is my understanding that you have to adjust the hop schedule to fit a full boil rather than the 2.5 gallon boil the instructions suggest. It usually involves lowering the weight of first addition I believe.

The all grain directions for this same kit suggest this schedule:

-- 0.5-oz.-Nugget-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-US-Fuggle-(30-min)-
-- 1.5-oz.-Cascade-(5-min)-

yes you will need to adjust the hop schedule....try using a recipe builder like beersmith or the following

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

enter all your ingredients, at the top it has a link for your boil size....set it to 3.5 (partial) and put your ingredients in exactly how your instructions advise you too. once done you will see how many IBU's the recipe has. now switch the boil size to whatever your boil size is going to be and you will see your IBU increase. then just adjust the times or amounts of your hops until you reach the same amount of IBU's. For your 60 min addition (nugget) i would leave it at 60 min and adjust the amount..

No, sorry, I was just asking about the adjustments to the hop schedule for a full boll rather than the partial boil that extract kits instruct you to do. It is my understanding that you have to adjust the hop schedule to fit a full boil rather than the 2.5 gallon boil the instructions suggest. It usually involves lowering the weight of first addition I believe.

The all grain directions for this same kit suggest this schedule:

-- 0.5-oz.-Nugget-(60-min)-
-- 1-oz.-US-Fuggle-(30-min)-
-- 1.5-oz.-Cascade-(5-min)-

The all grain version is a full boil so that should be correct for you.

Back