Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
I am making a 4 gallon APA and was looking for a recommended hop schedule. I was shooting for 30-40 IBU. This is kinda one of those "leftover beers" as I am trying to use up some stuff.

AG
4 Gallon Batch
5 Gallon Boil
Yeast: Nottingham
Target OG: 1.055
Target FG: 1.012

6# American 2-row
1# American Vienna
.5# Crystal 20L
.5# Carapils

Here is my Hop list. These are all in pellet form:

2oz-Zythos(9.7)
1oz Casacade(7)
2oz Liberty(4.5)

Would like someone to recommend a hop schedule for this beer. Thanks

If you want some 2 cents, I would probably not use the liberty hops on this if you dont need to. They have a different profile then the other 2. If you have a beer tool such as beer smith, but since your asking here I would assume you dont. From what your final batch size will be I would recommend doing late hop additions only. I would do .5 oz of Zythos at 30 mins and then again .5 at 5 mins and use cascade as the end all at 1 ounce at 5 or flameout.

I would also drop down to about .5# of American Vienna.

my 2 cents

Gotcha,

Yeah, I usually use brewersfriend.com for my recipe planning but all it gives you is IBU contribution. I'm not too familiar with different hop profiles and what each variety adds to the flavor.

Just for my knowledge, why reduce the amount of Vienna? This is another grain I'm not totally familiar with...

Thanks

IMO the malt might add too much sweetness for a traditional apa. By all means use 1 lbs and see what it would be like. I would with your hops start at 30 mins and use 2oz. If you feel like wanting more hop aroma dump the rest of zythos at flame out with cascade!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, we moved into a new house and the large burner on the stove doesn't work :( Therefore, no brewing for me until I can get it fixed. Instead, I did a 1gal JOAM! It's bubbling nicely! I will update you when I get this thing finally brewed...thanks!

Well, I finally got to brew this up. To add to my dismay my barley crusher broke half-way through crushing and I had to switch to a stick blender(don't get me started on that!) As a result, my efficiency tanked to 50%. I went with this hop schedule:

.5 oz Zythos(9.7) @ 30
1.5 oz Zythos(9.7) @ 5
1 oz Cascade(7.1) @ 5

OG came to 1.047( I know...really low)

Either way I got it in the carboy but I have a new issue I've never come across...

I pitched my rehydrated Nottingham at 11:00pm and by the next morning my wort had dropped completely clear!? It's still fermenting nicely as evidenced by a high krausen, but I've never had a beer drop crystal clear after 12 hours!

The only thing I can think of is that my cellar ambient temp is around 60F and I've got the carboy sitting on the cold concrete floor. Would this have caused my yeast to floc early and drop to the bottom...thats where it is anyway.

Hey makes for a great story! Why not wrap it in a towel and get it off the concrete. This could help it finish up! OG isnt that bad some great beers are made by mistakes and mishaps! Good luck!

Finally got to bottle this thing up! It finished at 1.009 which I thought was pretty good. The bitterness was there but not overpowering and it still had a good malt presence. GREAT hop aroma! Thanks for recommending late additions with this one. I can't wait until it is properly carbonated so I can see what flavors actually come through.

Welcome and hope it conditions well for you. It should may a great end of April early May beer. Curious what hope flavor your getting. Floral/citrus/spicy..... Slight under 5% isn't bad should be nice and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

From what I can pick out, most of the hop flavor and aroma is coming from the Cascade. I'm finally out of the Zythos variety...really didn't care for them much.

Back