Hop Schedule Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 5 gallon batch of IPA that I plan to brew with some new equipment I've picked up. I've been doing BIAB partial mashes on the stove for a bit and finally ponied up and got a set up that will let me switch over to all grain.

I'm thinking about hopping with a blend of "C" hops through out my boil.
I'm curious to see if anyone's tried this, and how it turned out. Here's what I have so far:

8.5 lbs 2-row 69%
2.25 lbs Vienna 18%
1 lbs Crystal 60L 8%
.63lbs CaraPils 5%

Mashed @ 155 for 60min

.33 oz Columbus
.33 oz Centennial @60
.33 oz Cascade

.33 oz Columbus
.33 oz Centennial @15
.33 oz Cascade

.33 oz Columbus
.33 oz Centennial Whirlpool
.33 oz Cascade

Wyeast American Ale II

I might dry hop with another oz each hop 4 days before I bottle, but i haven't decided yet.

Thoughts?

What's the IBU's on this? You are shooting for about 6% ABV or so? If you are going to mash that high and have some residual malt I would up the hops a little on the end to give it more flavor and aroma, eg double the flavor and/or whirpool additions. Dry hopping with an ounce of each would be appropriate. I would leave the DH in there for somewhere between 7 to 12 days though.

I have used those 3 hops together and they work very well together. You might want to look about adding a couple more ounces tho because 3 ounces is pretty low for an IPA. I would add a mix of 1 oz. at 5 min or flameout and another at dryhop.

and depending on how much sweetness you want you might want to change the mash temp. Lower mash temps are for dryness while higher mash temps leave sweetness. I normally do between 148-150 for my IPAs but I like mine dry.

I punched this into Brewer's friend and it gave me 60 IBUs. I was thinking about adding another oz some where in the boil - probably at 5min

thanks for the heads up on the mash temp. I'll drop it down a bit too.

Finally got around to brewing this guy last weekend:

9.25 lbs 2-row
2.25 lbs Vienna Mashed @ 150 for 1 hr
.75 lbs Crystal 60

.33 oz Columbus
.33 oz Centennial @ 60, 15, 10, 5, and Whirlpool
.33 oz Cascade

The O.G. was 1.067, which was pretty dead on for what I was shooting for.
I pitched White Lab's California Ale @ 70 degrees, Fermenting @ 68

I hadn't used White Labs before, and man this is a pissed off yeast. I have about 5.5 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gallon carboy, and was starting to worry if there was enough space for all the activity going on (heading out of town for a week today). However, today is day 3 and it's looking like it's starting to calm down a bit. I have about 6 inches left of space, so I'm thinking its going to be all right.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked with how everything's going with this guy. Thanks for the input!

Back