Hop schedule for APA

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I'm very new to brewing and will be bottling my 3rd beer this weekend (grapefruit franken-hefe). Anywho my next brew will be happening in July and I've been reading a ton to try and get this right. I'll be brewing a version of Yoopers house pale ale. It's extract with partial mash. I'm wanting a citrusy note to this brew and will be dry hopping as well. I've never dry hopped and each brew the goal is to incorporate a new technique for learning/experiencing purposes. So with that said I'm trying to stay in the 30-45ish ibu range and have setup the following hop schedules in brewers friend

Cascade 1 oz 60 min
Galaxy 1 oz 5 min

Dry hop (4 days)
Citra 1 oz

This brings me to right at 40.88 IBU's for a 5 gallon batch. I will be using the late DME additions also. Meaning 1.5LB's at the beginning of the boil and 4.5LB's at flameout. I've been reading that Cascade may not be such a great bittering hop. Also would 5 minutes in the boil get enough of the galaxy flavor to count? I've never had galaxy btw but it was highly recommended by a buddy so I want to give her a go. The dry hopping of citra is to get an orange/tangerine like aroma. Also I would like to keep the hops at 1oz, if possible, since I don't have a scale at the moment. Thanks for all those that have given me advice in this venture so far and keep brewing!

OP
rtstrider

rtstrider

Reaction score
Alright Seabrew .5 oz is easy to guesstimate for sure. I still want to use a mix of galaxy, cascade, and citra. So here's what I've changed to

Galaxy .5 oz 60 min
Cascade 1 oz 10 min
Citra .5 oz 5 min

Dry hop

Galaxy .5 oz
Citra .5 oz

That would bring me to 44.69 IBU's. I would still only dry hop for 4 days unless you think it should be longer. I've just read that after 4-5 days both galaxy and citra can get kinda "grassy".

seabrew8

Reaction score
Yeah a lot of people dry hop for 2-3 days. I honestly have never dry hopped so i have no advice.

Citra is a really nice hop and it goes well with cascade.