Hop Sample Packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TycoRossBrewing

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any companies that sell hop sample packs? I am looking to get a pack of maybe a dozen or so hop varietals so I can experiment with taste differences. I plan on cracking a twelve pack of bud light (for the first and last time) just so I can dry hop them for four days or so and then get a good idea of what they taste like without buying ounces of each or brewing a ton of different batches to find out. Each time I look online all that pops up are hip hop sample packs and I have a grip of those already. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, especially if someone has contact with a hop farmer.

Does anyone know of any companies that sell hop sample packs? I am looking to get a pack of maybe a dozen or so hop varietals so I can experiment with taste differences. I plan on cracking a twelve pack of bud light (for the first and last time) just so I can dry hop them for four days or so and then get a good idea of what they taste like without buying ounces of each or brewing a ton of different batches to find out. Each time I look online all that pops up are hip hop sample packs and I have a grip of those already. Any help or ideas would be appreciated, especially if someone has contact with a hop farmer.

I don't think your method is very sound... 4 day old flat bud light with dry hops in it? Not sure that would be a good representation of the hops.

You can get 1 oz bags for "sample packs," couple bucks a piece.

Some people just steep and make a hop tea, and taste/smell the different flavors and aromas that those hops are likely to impart.

Thanks for the input...i was also planning on adding A small amount of light malt extract and activr yeast to get a slight carbonation, but that idea about the hop tea would probably be the best. I thought perhaps get the lightest most flavorless beer so the hops would overcome the beer itself And i could get a good idea of each. Your idea is better though...kind of thought it was a long shot at best, thanks again.

AnYone who can find a sample pack??

Buy the 12'er in bottles and just re-cap them after adding the hops. Shouldnt loss much carbonation. Be careful when you add the hops, might get some foaming.

Sorry, no lead on the sample packs. I would just bite bullet and buy 12 single bags of hops. Ones you dont like flavor/aroma you can always use for bittering.

Thanks for all the input guys. And yes, it is rare to see someone admit they are wrong online

This sounds really fun! Except for the buying Bud Light part. I will have to figure out a costume to wear, and pick the best out of town location to buy at night to lessen the chances of sullying my good name.

It's about time to order some Hops anyway. Got plans for a half-batch of PLINY clone soon. Just need to contact the bank to let them know the sudden and sizeable reduction in my account is from buying the hop bill!

If only it was possible to brew your own beer, and test each of the hops that way.

Sure, if you're made of money.

Plus, that opens up the possibility of a lot of other variables. This is meant to be a very consistent platform to let the characteristics of each hop come through. I'm willing to bet that anyone with the ability to brew 12 100% perfectly identical batches of beer with the only variance being hops is already pretty familiar with the characteristics of said hops.

Back