Hop rot from dry hop magnet technique ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattpaneth

Reaction score
Hey guys, been seeing talk recently about people dry hopping with food grade magnets attached to the rim of their fermentor as a way to reduce o2 exposure. My question is wouldn't the hops begin to rot or decompose if they are attached to a lid, exposed to air for a couple days at fermentation temp? Sounds like a great idea but I don't want to drop nasty warm rotten hops into my wort that have been attached to the roof of my fermentor for several days. Anyone that does this notice any off flavors in their beer??

Well I'm using hop pellets, ferment under pressure and using kveik at 35celsius. No sign of hop rot ( hops are quite bug cidal ) and that was for a double dry hopped NEIPA that homebrew club were in raptures about last night. 2nd hops hung around for a week before being immersed.
IMG_20201108_170441.jpgIMG_20210505_162246.jpg

My one and only attempt at this turned out well. It was 2 oz of Azacca hops in a LightSky clone. The bag dangled from the top of the fermenter for 9 days before being dropped in for 5 days. The fragrance in the finished beer was intense and pleasant, with no hint of any rotten or musty smell or any off flavors.

Last edited:
Back