Hop Rod Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Janx, I see in another thread you mention Hop Rod Rye, and a recipe for your variation. Do you have the recipe for Hop Rod Rye? I just had one, and man is that a distinct taste for sure. I would love to be able to make that ale.

Tony said:
Janx, I see in another thread you mention Hop Rod Rye, and a recipe for your variation. Do you have the recipe for Hop Rod Rye? I just had one, and man is that a distinct taste for sure. I would love to be able to make that ale.

Tony, check in the equipment section of the forum, post named "All-grain kits" on 1/27/05. I got the recipe out of Brew Your Own, and it came from the head brewer at Bear Republic. Or, give Janx's version a whirl. Sounds pretty gnarley! :D

DeRoux's Broux

Cool, thanks!!!

I have been going into shops buying singles of different type of every beer, to see what kinds I really like best and would want to try to make. I had a large bottle of Hop Rod Rye last night, and WOW was that an awesome ale and such different yet distinct taste.

Also, how many of you guys subscribe to BYO?

Tony said:
Cool, thanks!!!

I have been going into shops buying singles of different type of every beer, to see what kinds I really like best and would want to try to make. I had a large bottle of Hop Rod Rye last night, and WOW was that an awesome ale and such different yet distinct taste.

i brewed a Imperial IPA, with about 25% rye to the grain-bill. one of my all-time favorites. never had the Hop Rod Rye, but sure sounds good.

i have subscribed to BYO for about 3 years. i like it. lot's of tips, recipes, projects.

Tony said:
I have for the last few years. I started saving them last year though, so I have every issue from 2004 as well as from 2005. Great, great resource.
I also subscribe to "All About Beer" magazine. Haven't gotten an issue of that in a while, wonder if they went down. :confused:
I also always pick up a copy of Zymurgy at my HBS as well.

orrelse said:
I have for the last few years. I started saving them last year though, so I have every issue from 2004 as well as from 2005. Great, great resource.
I also subscribe to "All About Beer" magazine. Haven't gotten an issue of that in a while, wonder if they went down. :confused:
I also always pick up a copy of Zymurgy at my HBS as well.

i still see "all about beer" on the rack @ barnes and noble. every once in a while, they will have a copy of BYO too. i've learned alot from BYO. it's cool because they have high-end geeky beer stuff, to low end simpleton stuff (just for me!).

i would encourage everyone that's a homebrewer to join the American Brewers Association (formerly the American Homebrewers Association). You get Zymurgy 6 times a year and info on all AHA events, politics affecting us homebrewers, etc. i think it's $34/year, and they send you a little packet w/ a sticker, coaster, Zymurgy pocket book. my local Micro-Brewery in Houston (Saint Arnold Brewing Company) held a membership drive party a few weekends ago. they tapped a cask Spring Bock brewed just for the party, free beer, they had several homebrew shops/clubs there with thier goods. the cool thing was, it was free for current members, and people that joined got $4 off, PLUS FREE BEER! WOO-HOO! their web page is www.beertown.org. check it out.

it's all about the beer man, all about the beer......

DeRoux's Broux

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but it sounds like you found what you needed. That really is a fun beer. Hit their pub if you're ever in Healdsburg. We love sitting outside splitting a pitcher of the HRR...especially if you have nothing else to do that day. Cheers! :D

my sister lives in healsberg. my father is going to visit her tomorrow. i will probably be visiting in the summer. perhaps we should meet up and have a beer?

Janx said:
Sorry I didn't reply sooner but it sounds like you found what you needed. That really is a fun beer. Hit their pub if you're ever in Healdsburg. We love sitting outside splitting a pitcher of the HRR...especially if you have nothing else to do that day. Cheers! :D

Well if Im ever out there I sure will.

Usually on beers I have never drank, I will open the bottle and smell the beer try to catch the aroma as soon as possible, then take a small sip to evaluate the taste with the aroma still present. Then drink as usual.

With the HRR, it was excellent from the first aroma, first sip to last mouthful. Man was that an exciting beer.

Now, is it considered a "California Common", "American Pale Ale" or something different?

Nope. A California Common is Anchor Steam...a lager fermented at ale temps. Much more mild flavored than HRR.

It's way too big and dark for an APA.

I guess you could call it an IPA, but it's too dark and too bitter for that style also.

I think HRR is just one of those beers that defies style, but when pressed to describe it, I say it's like a gigantic dark IPA with 8% alcohol. Cheers! :D

Latest posts

Back