Hop Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which variety of hops have you planted

• Hallertauer

• Cascade

• Kent Golding

• Brewers Gold

• Mt. Hood

• Saaz

• Perle

• Fuggle

• Willamette

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
1 (RHIZBG) Brewers Gold rhizome $3.50

1 (RHIZMHJ) Mt Hood Jumbo rhizome $7.00

1 (RHIZSU) Sunbeam rhizome $6.00

1 (RHIZSA) Saaz rhizome $6.00

Are theses a good variety of choices? The Sunbeam is new and an ornamental. Has anyone used the hops from this one?

I planted Sunbeam last year, didn't get anything. We'll see what happens this year.

I got cascade and nugget planted (last year). Think the nugget is dead. Cascade is already to about 1' and I need to hack off the smaller shoots. No matter though, come July it'll be about dead. Can't stand the heat. Maybe they'll figure it out how to adapt one of these years. Was worth the try though.

Sunbeam has peaked my interest. Supposedly they can grow in shade?

I looked around the usual places that sell rhizomes this year and none of them piqued my interest. I have 6 varieties growing now so I wasn't going to do another one unless it was interesting. Sunbeam might be the one.

I just got the call, my rhizomes are in! Centennial and Mt. Hood (i think)

Cascade, Nugget and Willamette. The Cascades have grown like crazy. I got ~1.5 lbs. when dried last harvest. The Nuggets are not far behind, they'll probably be close to the Cascade this year.

Unfortunately, the Willamettes never took off after two years. I think maybe they are just too finicky for this climate and soil. I'm looking to get a Magnum 'zome this year to take their place.

Technically, I don't have ANY planted yet, but I ordered three Cascade rhizomes. Seem to be a hardy breed that some people in similar locales have had success with. Thought about getting a Centential or something else in addition to the Cascade, but I figured there's nothing wrong with an all-Cascade, fresh-hopped APA...

Incidentally, I heard on an old episode of Basic Brewing Radio this morning that the first hop plants in the country were planted around Cooperstown, NY. My wife's friend has a dairy farm in the general area with a ton of wild hops; makes me wonder if some of those are decended from some of the original varieties planted in the U.S.

I planted tettnang last year and had almost 2 oz from it. This year I hope to add Mt. Hood and Saaz.

the_bird said:
Technically, I don't have ANY planted yet, but I ordered three Cascade rhizomes. Seem to be a hardy breed that some people in similar locales have had success with. Thought about getting a Centential or something else in addition to the Cascade, but I figured there's nothing wrong with an all-Cascade, fresh-hopped APA...

Incidentally, I heard on an old episode of Basic Brewing Radio this morning that the first hop plants in the country were planted around Cooperstown, NY. My wife's friend has a dairy farm in the general area with a ton of wild hops; makes me wonder if some of those are decended from some of the original varieties planted in the U.S.
A side interest here. Central and Western NY where I am has a climate where moisture is very plentiful (snow and rain). We also get something very important to vine crops like hops and wine--wind and lots of it. this dries out the plant and ideally keeps it from the powdery mildew. There are many German decendents in this region as well, and I'm told, the climate is much like southern Germany.

As far as SUNBEAM growing in shade it might, theoretically. Usually plants that have showy colors in the leaves or stems are under colored in the shade. In my experience plants need lots of sun to get enough energy to fruit(the hops we use) and get great color. Last year we planted a large group of red twig dogwood in the shade and they stayed green the next season.

I live in Florida and have bought some Rhyzomes from Northern Brewer. Not sure if anyone from Florida has cultivated any hops. Any takes on if the weather is too hot during the summer? We do get our usual doses of rain during the year. I haven't gotten them yet but already prepared the soil for them.

the_bird said:
... the first hop plants in the country were planted around Cooperstown, NY. ..

IIRC, the majority of hops in the U.S. used to come from this region, followed closely by the Pacific NW. Many years ago - maybe the late 1970's or early 1980's - a disease hit that region and damaged or wiped out a huge amount of hops fields. That's when the Pacific NW took over as the top hop region.

I could be wrong on the dates or some of the details, but for some reason this stands out in my mind as something I recall reading about.:confused:

Back