Hop Rhizome Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Shark Brew

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help out here...
I was thinking about purchasing some hop rhizomes this year, mostly to help with the price increases due the hop shortage. Only problem is I'm going to be moving to a new house in the next few months. My question is, if I purchase the rhizomes in March when they come available, can I either store them or plant them in a some type of temporary container until I get to my new house? Are there viable options for temporary planting/storage or should I just wait until next year's crop to get my rhizomes?

Thanks all!

You could start them in some kind of large container if you will be moving sometime early this summer. I would not try to plant them later than June.
You will likely get no harvest from them this summer but by getting them started this year you should have a good crop for next year.
However there is always the chance of loss when transplanting so you may end up losing some of your plants. The rhizomes are cheap but the potting materials and your time may make the loss of a plant more painful.

Craig

Back