Hop rhizome cloning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyA

Reaction score
Can you make an additional rhizome from existing plant? Say dig up and cut an established rhizome in half to make more.

That was my understand of what a "Rhizome" is. Its just one of the roots that shoot off of the main root. So you can propigate your own into additonal plants or to give to friends.

That isnt exactly cloning, but that is how we get our rhizomes in the mail... they chop them off existing plants. You can "divide" them and make more plants from one.

This Fall when you cut your vines back leave about 5 or 6 feet attached and bury them in a shallow trench. They will root next year and you can cut them up into sections making sure each section has at least one eye and re-plant. Thats how they make the rhizomes form sale. Notice that they are all straight cuttings with very little side growth except root and eye. I think I read that on fresh hops or one of the hop grower websites. They are in fact clones.

Ah, man. I thought this thread was going to have some information that would help me get some amarillo rhizomes going! :(

:fro:

Sadly, amarillo is grown only by one company & they are NOT sharing. I'm told the first plant was a sport off of cascade.

You can also get more plants by shoot layering. I did this last year. I just dug several 6" deep trenches near the plant and bent some extra shoots down into them and covered them with soil, leaving about 6" of growing tip still exposed. Don't ben them too much or they will break. It was pretty dry at times last year so I would occassionally make sure to water these. After about 6 weeks I started to prune back the layered shoots as they were starting to grow all over the place. About mid-August I severed the connection to the main plant and let them grow for another couple weekd before digging them up and putting them in pots.

I recently took 150 or so cuttings, rhizomes, clones or whatever you wanna call them. The large chucks of root provide a massive jumpstart it seems. My vines are reaching 4 ft and they havnt been planted a month, and the sun aint shone in tje last 30 days

Latest posts

Back