Hop rhizome buying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero_gabe

Reaction score
So im trying to get some rhizome orders so I can begin growing my own hops. Where do you guys recommend I buy my rhizomes from? What are the essential/must have hops?

My LHBS has rhizomes, and that's where I'd start. My go to hops are Cascade, Centennial, Magnum and Willamette. Depending on what and how much you brew, one of each should get you going. And if you take good care of them, you can start sharing them with your brewing buddies in the next couple of years. You might want to talk a friend or two into growing some too, and then choose different varieties so you can have several available.

Take a look through the HBT Vendor list, The Hop Shack and Arrowhead Hops sell rhizomes, others probably do.

As for the type of hop, my Cascades have thrived and the Willamettes have failed (I live in the Midwest). A friend has Chinooks that are growing like crazy, too.

Awesome! Thanks for your input and sugestions. I live in southern California so I don't know what are ideal hops to grow here. I really want to make sure I grow what my climate allows me to.

Hey Zero, I live in SD as well ( east county) one thing to consider is our microclimates. When I lived in la Mesa my cascades and magnum did great. However I moved to lakeside and the heat was too much for them, I blame it on my planting area but regardless you would want to make sure you get a hop variety that tolerates heat. If you live closer to the coast then a milder weather variety would do fine I'm sure. IMO cascades are very hardy and you can't go wrong with them, just don't let the root ball get too hot like I did.

EricT and growinghops thanks for the advice! Ill def look into those hop varieties and more. And eric yes i do live by the beach in LA county so weather is mild. Are there any charts or lists that show what ho varieties are good for what?

EricT and growinghops thanks for the advice! Ill def look into those hop varieties and more. And eric yes i do live by the beach in LA county so weather is mild. Are there any charts or lists that show what ho varieties are good for what?

I was looking for one I remember seeing a couple years ago and can't seem to find it online. With all the websites about hops you would think some of them would have a growing zone associated.

EricT said:
I was looking for one I remember seeing a couple years ago and can't seem to find it online. With all the websites about hops you would think some of them would have a growing zone associated.

Thyme gardens in Oregon. Great people

Back