Hop resin "hash" for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
I just finished drying the first 1/2 of my hop harvest(2 lbs dried Cascade and Tettnenger), and discovered quite a bit of hop resin on the bottom of my drying box. I had been gently shaking and moving the hops around for about 3 days which shook off the resins.

So, I am wondering if I can add the resin to the secondary for dry hopping? I assume it will work well since it is the resin that contains the aroma compounds, right? Sort of like a hop extract. Are there any reasons why I should not try this?

Thanks, Tim

The only reason i can think of is that you will not know how much AA you are adding. The only downside is that it would be hard to duplicate the recipe in the future.

That would not be enough of a reason for me.... Go for it!

Ahh, thanks David. You always come through with a wealth of knowledge. I think I will try it with a small batch of beer just to find out what it may impart....I guess since the bittering compounds are in the resin, it may do nothing since it will not be boiled?

Back