hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
My AG yesterday went well - hit all temps and SGs - however after boil and rack into primary I sampled the SG sample and was shocked about a very sharp/bitter taste on the front side of the taste and then the sweetness/nuttiness of the brown ale late in the taste. Is this the hops or something gone wrong in process?? Can something in process be perceived already??? Am I hosed?? thanks, doc

Let 'er go. You can't judge a finished beer by the cooled wort.

It'll be great! Let the yeasties do their job.

That my friend is fresh unadulterated hop flavor and aroma. Most will be lost during fermentation though, and by the time you get around to cracking that first one open It will be so mellow and smooth.

By the way tasting everything is a good habit in brewing. It helps to refine the pallet and get an idea for how everything affects the final brew.

Taste everything, your ingredients, your mash, your sparge runnings, sweet wort, wort mid boil, chilled wort, at each hydrometer reading, bottling time, and a green brew just after carbing is done. Just little sips of of test amounts, you don't want to during it all before it is beer, but this will help you paint an image of what different ingredients and processes do to the beer.

Back