Hop quantities?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewM8ster

Reaction score
Hi I'm just wondering what is the amount of hops I require to make a hoppy but not over over over strong. I'm thinking 60g of each at 15-20 min before flameout?? I'm planning on using 3 hops admiral challenger and goldings at the same time.

Regards in advance

How much malt (grains) is in you recipe? What is your O.G.?

hopsgraph.jpg

I want to make a hoppy elderflower golden ale so about 3.7% just pale malt (Marris) not looking at my recipe on beer smith I can't be exact sorry.

Click the add-on button and make sure you have the 2013 hops added. Most of them are there. Or you can go to ingredients and add the information.

It's just some hops aren't on there. Thanks anyway.

If you know the AA% of the hops, you can use any hop in BeerSmith and change the AA% and name to calculate bitterness.

As far a aroma, the AA% is not really a helpful number. It the oil content of the hop is far more important and there is no real specification in BeerSmith to calculate. Your process: speed of chilling, whirlpooling, dry hopping will also have a huge amount of variability.

So, it is mostly trail and error to find the level of hop that you prefer.

I've never dry hopped before. Is it worth it?

Dry hopping contributes no IBU only flavor and aroma so it depends on the style you're brewing as to whether it's worth it or not

For my pale ales I'll typically dry hop 5-7 days with at least 3 oz, IPAs 3-5 oz and for IIPAs +5oz

Sent from the Commune

Dry hopping, depending upon quantity, will add a good amount of hop aroma, flavor, and some bitterness. It's absolutely worth it if that's what you want.

I've been trying for a long time to get that hop monster flavour in my beers but with no luck. So maybe dry hopping will work.

Sounds like some dry hopping is in order. For a solid contribution, stat with 3-4 oz per 5 gallon batch, maybe 3-5 days or so. Adjust from there to taste.

Sounds like some dry hopping is in order. For a solid contribution, stat with 3-4 oz per 5 gallon batch, maybe 3-5 days or so. Adjust from there to taste.

So do you mean after 3-5 days or for 3-5 days from pitching?

As you're in metric units try this:

Bitters/Milds: 2-4 grams/litre of hops at end of boil
Pale ales: 3-5g/l
IPA's: 5g/l

Now that's obviously a very rough guide and depends on how hoppy you want the beer and how pugent the particular hop you are using is, but it'll get you going and you can adjust through experience. Also letting the end of boil hops steep for 10mins after you've cut the burner but before cooling is a good idea, but be aware you'll get some bitterness from this which homebrew calculators don't tend to account for.

Cheers Pal.

Very helpful simple but effective.

I'll let you know how I get on with this.

Back