Hop perfume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason every non brewer I have talked to finds the smell of hops disgusting. That could be why there isn't one.

Funny you should ask this question.
Hop resin(luplin) used to be a key ingredient to womens perfume back in the day. My uncle grew up in Yakima, WA and would work the hop fields during the summer. He said that the drier rooms would be locked off and have an armed guard on site because they used to sweep up the fallen luplin from the kiln floors. Back then, the luplin was going for a rediculous price of $200-$300/oz(early 60's).
Now the key ingredients in perfumes is created in the labs and there has been no need for the luplin in that market. High demand dropped for it.
I don't use luplin in my cologne:drunk: but the resin sure is wonderful on a ribeye 24 hours before the grill:rockin:.
Collect it when you dry hops. It's fantastic in food.

luplin1.jpg

for real, I am brewing a Dry Hopped pale ale right now, and I would love to capture that smell.

We started making soap in 2021 from boredom. 2022 hop season, my wife tried to infuse some with olive oil. There is almost a sweet hay smell but it doesn't have much for a hops smell anymore. I also think we picked them too late.

IMG_3533.jpeg

Back