Hop pellets vs Leaf.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I understand the benifits of each. In the UK leaf is more popular and UK homebrewers seem to critcise pellets for slightly reduced aroma from shredding.

However it would seem to me that the main online homebrew supplies in the UK stock pellets from much more recent crops than leaf. So they are going to be fresher (especially considering they store better), thus I have decieded in my next batch to use pellets from my dry hopping and aroma additions.

This leaves me thinking should I adjust my aroma additions to account for some aroma loss in the shreading process. I have read before an extra addition of 10-20% is recommended to account for the use of pellet.

Does anybody do this with their brews?

In my experiences,leaf hops gets more depth of flavor & pellet hops get more bittering faster. Hop flavors from pellets are edgier in my opinion. All pellet hops work fine imo. I don't adjust for leaf or pellets,save for the fact that whole leafe hops need a muslin grain sack from the sheer volume vs pellets just needing the usual little hop sacks.

Back