Hop pellets bad for your brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Is the sludge at the bottom of your cooled wort bad for your brew?
I've read all about techniques on how to get rid of the sludge at the bottom of your cooled wort, but couldn't find anything solid.

I'd simply like to know point blank if it's bad for your beer. I know about the methods of removing it so it's not in the primary, but what's the general opinion on the effects of the quality of beer? Thanks!!

no it won't hurt your beer. it helps keep the beer clearer, the more you can leave behind each time you rack, but it will not harm it.

some of that break materiel that's in there too i think helps the yeast do it's thing. sorta like power bars... ;)

What Ive deduced from this site and several books i've read:
"It is only bad for your beer if it sits on it for too long of a time in unhealthy conditions". Aside from that, it really is just the stuff that your beer is made of.

I've never racked from the kettle in 13 years and never had a problem. Plus, it's easier to aerate when you are dumping the whole cooled batch into the primary.

People intentionally throw hops into secondary fermenters when they dry hop... Nothing to worry about!

OK i'm brave and will take this a step further. Occasionally I actually chill, aerate,pitch yeast and ferment right in my ss kettle w/ all the trub, spent hops and whatever else might be in the kettle at flameout. Ferment 7-10 days, crash cool and keg condition. I find this produces fine ales and is easy w/ less vessels to clean and sanitize.

Back