Hop Pellet Useful Life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memphomaniac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a guy on CL who was selling out all his brewing equipment (will brag about the deal I got later) and before I left he pulled out what I would consider to be a sh*tload of hop pellets of assorted variety from his freezer and gave them to me. There are literally a few pounds of pellets in 1 oz packs. They are all packed in the original, gray, vacuum packs, and he said he has had them frozen for about four years.

I would really like for someone to tell me that these pellets are fine to use, but I can handle the truth, unlike Tom Cruise.

You suck I hate you!

IN theory the hop oils should be mostly gone, but if they've been frozen and vacuum sealed, I don't see why they wouldn't work. Make up a batch and find out. If it doesn't work, start up a hop lottery :D

To be honest, (its hard to do).
I have no idea, 4 years is a long time. I would take 1 oz of each and make a mini batch and hop 1gal of each and see what comes out and how good they are. I would not use them for anything but bittering.
Good luck.

You say they were sealed in the original vacuum packs? They ought to be all right. The grey Mylar packs are flushed with nitrogen before sealing. If they've been frozen all this time, I wouldn't worry about acids degradation. Just use 'em.

Look at it this way: By the time you get 'em from LHBS, you're buying hops that are at least a year old, anyhow. Theoretically, they've undergone a certain amount of degradation already. Do you worry about those hops?

Bob

Back