Hop Oils or Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmhops

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of an APA three weeks. I used 3 oz. of hops in the boil, 2 oz. for dry hopping.

After fermentation/conditioning, I left the beer in primary and dry hopped in there. Everything looked fine, and then after 3 days of dry hopping I began to cold crash (I have the carboy in a chest freezer).

After a few days of cold crashing I started to notice something oily on the surface. I posted a pic; the green specs in the middle are on the top/inside of the carboy from when i dumped in the dry hops, not in the beer. The brown crap on the side is yeast sticking to the walls of the carboy.

You can see that in the middle, there's no oil, just beer. Around the perimeter, however, is an oil on the surface. It's almost transparent, and it doesn't look like a very thick film, more a light something on the surface.

I'm thinking this could be because as I cold crashed the beer, a vacuum was created, sucking in sanitizer through the airlock to the center of the beer. It's fresh star san, though, so I can't imagine that being the issue.

There aren't any bubbles on the oil, it doesn't look white or powdery on top. The beer smells fine, it doesn't taste sour. No typical signs of infection. There are some concerns with the flavor, but that could be more to do with the hop combo I used than anything else.

I know, RDWHAHB, but if anyone can identify what's up that'd be great. Thanks!

questionablebeer.jpg

SHould be alright. Cold crashing will pull oxygen into that headspace though. Oxygen ruins beer and creates a friendly enviroment for bacterial infections to grow. I don't think it's hop oils, but it doesn't quite look massively infected either.

Back