Hop oils, flash point and boiling points

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxonbrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to understand the best way to retain the volatile oils from hops in my all grain brews. When I look at the flash points for various oils I see...

ALPHA-CARYOPHYLLENE: fp=90C bp=167C
FARNESENE: fp=110C bp=260C
Myrcene: fp=39C bp=167C

(My source is http://www.chemicalbook.com )

I spotted a graph (I googled hop utilization in the images search) that suggested to add flavour additions at 20 minutes and aroma additions at 7 minutes before flame out, but surely given the above flash points (fp) and boiling points (bp) I'm loosing most of my oils? What am I missing?

My question is how should I add the hops to get the maximum amount of oils retained? I'm further confused because it seems (I have this impression from various chemistry websites) that many of these oils are insoluble in water. If this is the case am I always better to dry hop after I've brewed so that the alcohol helps with solubility?

Please could someone point me in the direction of a good explanation of whats actually going on when I add my hops?

Cheers!

Back