Hop Oils and Krausen Height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwsenoj

Reaction score
Last weekend we brewed a 5 gal batch of hop bursted IPA. All went well on brew day. We pitched a pack of Safale 05 directly into the 70° fermenter of 1.070 wort and then used a 0.5 micron air stone with O2 and had airlock activity within 12 hrs. The fermenter went into my temp controlled freezer at 65°. I had to go out of town til yesterday and when I checked on the beer the krausen was much lower than I expected. I was wondering if this might be an indication of a yeast problem, or if there could be some effect on the krausen since I used 6oz of hops at flameout.

Forgot to add this.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412545190.094343.jpg

I don't know, I almost always don't have much krausen. I see people with these explosive blow offs and I never have that. I always chalked it up to pitching the appropriate amount of yeast, but not sure. I wouldn't think anything was unusual if I saw yours.

It looks totally fine. There is no reason to be concerned IMO. With a 1.070 wort, I would think about using two packs next time, or at least rehydrating before pitching. Your fermentation looks fine though.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

With US-05 id try and keep the temps between 65-68F. 62 is a bit low for that yeast.

Back